Chapter 14 - Sleep, The Precious, VISAs

I quietly walked out and then hurried to the library. Scott was sat at one of the tables in the middle head down and pen flying across the page. I didn't get three paces into the library before people turned to look at me and then whisper amongst themselves. I scowled and sat with Scott.

"Essay questions," he said and finished his sentence before looking up. "Timed or untimed, up to you."

"Uh. I've hardly slept and the sofa doesn't turn into a bed. The last time I looked at the clock it was half five. I'm plodding through it."

"Dan still not sleeping?"

I shook my head and yawned and winced as a tight muscle in my back refused to stretch. My neck was starting to really hurt too.

"Sleep at your boyfriends. Or, you know, Evan's. The school is expecting it."

I glowered at him. "Get back to work, Scotty."

Ten minutes later I gave up trying to figure out how to write a sentence that made sense and dropped my pen onto my paper with a sigh. I yawed for the millionth time and tipped my head up to the ceiling.

"Go home, Zoey," Scott said.

I shook my head. "Textiles after break. Then history. I can go home at lunch."

"Lucky you."

"Hey, I didn't want to drop theatre studies and lit," I nearly exclaimed but remembered where we were.

"You never did explain why you did."

"Because I'm 'disabled'," I said putting air quotes around the words. "All my teachers got worried that my written work grades were beginning to slip and they made me decide."

It had happened two weeks after the Christmas break and I'd fumed about it for weeks. Mum and Dad weren't best pleased either and hadn't spoken to Evan's dad since even though this decision was way out of his control. He was the school's disciplinarian, not one of my teachers.

"That's a load of bullshit!" he exclaimed.

"Language!" one of the librarians snapped.

"Yeah, well, in the end they said that if I didn't decide they'd take me off the textiles course."

"You're kidding me?!"

"Wish I was. But the more I think about it... I dunno. Maybe they're right. I've got more time to focus on my sewing project."

"Why didn't you drop Russian?"

"It never occurred to me. By the time I realised it probably would have been an option it was too late to get back into theatre class. I asked Zack. Speaking of Russian class, can I ask you something?"

"Sure," he said and put his pen down. "What's up?"

"Grigory asked me to go to Moscow with him in the summer holiday."

"And you're undecided?"

I bit my lip and nodded. "He needs to know by the middle of April so he can help me do the visa form." That was just a month a way.

Scott nodded and rubbed his jaw. "I'm sure they'll love you, Zoey."

"I'm not worried about them," I waved off. "Ok, I am. I want them to like me. But this decision has to be about me and Grigory. Not his family."

"I think you should go."

"Really?"

He nodded. "Even though you spent all your time with Dan on Saturday you two were so... I don't know. In tune with one another I guess. And, honestly, even though you were worrying about Dan, I don't think I've ever seen you quite so relaxed and care free."