Chapter 16: Small World

Start from the beginning

He dramatically touched his chest. "Ouch, that hurts. It's me, Raf! Theo? Remember me from high school?"

The pieces slowly fell into place as I scrutinized his features. Suddenly, it clicked. "Wait, don't tell me you're the 'cheated-on' Theo?"

"Yep," he confirmed, a mixture of embarrassment and offense crossing his expression.

I immediately regretted my reckless comment. The truth was, I barely recognized Theo at all. We rarely exchanged words in school, and if we did, it had slipped from my memory. He was the 3rd year and somehow they all intimidated me. He's the type of dude who always had been quiet, even if he was popular among the girls. Well, that was no surprise.

The one thing i remember was he used to get cheated on by this girl named Sarah. She was attractive and they both would certainly made a good looking little babies, unfortunately The Slutty Sarah went for someone less attractive but had a very nice ride. Therefore everybody at school hated her for that, Sarah eventually transferred schools due to the bullying she received. It was a classic high-school rom-com main character moment for him.

He also somehow very active in every club activities.

As a bit of a nerd who was more invested in my fictional friends than real-life social circles, I often found myself forgetting people's names in high school. Gilang, my only best friend wasn't always around, except for our morning commute to school. While he had his own circle, typically consisting of third-years, I was content with my own solitary company.

So, the fact that Hasbi was now friends with Gilang didn't strike me as particularly surprising anymore. Kartawisnu was a small city, after all. It wouldn't be far-fetched for Hasbi to be friends with someone like Theo as well; it seemed highly likely given the close-knit nature of our community. They both could be friends with him too? If that was true, i would be pleased to perform Harakiri.

"Sorry that was a bit rude."

"At least you remember me. You were always hanging out with Gilang, yes?"

"Yeah," I confirmed.

"Looking back, it's weird that we never really talked to each other," Theo mused.

"You were a senior while I was in the first grade, so..."

"Still, you could've joined Gilang every break to play football with us back then," Theo pointed out.

"Sports aren't really my thing," I admitted.

"Really? What kind of man doesn't like football anyway? You prefer dolls and Barbie or something?" Theo teased.

"Yeah, huge fan of them," I replied sarcastically.

"Yeah, it's been in the family for generations. I took over about three years back, right after finishing college. Originally, it was meant for my dad, but he's a professor, didn't have the time. So, the reins landed in my lap. I've spruced it up a bit, gave it more of a beachy feel," Theo explained.

"That's impressive," I said sincerely.

"Thanks. But running a seafood joint wasn't a walk in the park initially. But i've been in the game since I was a teen," he replied. "i figured, since i've had some experience, why not?"

"Was it always your ambition to run a restaurant?" I queried.

"Nah, I had my sights set on football. Mom vetoed that, though, especially with her being unwell. So, here I am, stuck in this spot. It's a mix of feelings," Theo admitted.

I smiled at him, thinking, perhaps some people aren't that lucky to do whatever the heck they please without bearing the big responsibility. Maybe i was lucky I'm not one of them. At the same time, that means i also had to pave my own way through a successful life. Without my family's help nor their past achievement.