chapter 1 | fate is making plans

Start from the beginning

Soulmates, finding each other.

In this world, everyone has a soulmate, and each couple has a connection crafted by fate itself.

There are various ways these connections manifest, such as a timer ticking down to the exact moment of meeting, matching tattoos, the red string of fate, or the names of soulmates imprinted on wrists.

Some connections are less telling, involving shared emotions, pain, or memories.

Even if not physically noticeable, a small symbol related to the connection appears on the wrist.

Once soulmates find each other, the connection locks into place, turning gold upon physical contact.

Most people receive their connection between sixteen and twenty years old. Although it can happen between twelve and twenty seven, it becomes less likely to appear the older you get.

There is no logic or science that can explain it, only that it is in the hands of fate.

Despite fate's efforts to connect everyone and guide them to each other, not everyone is fortunate. Some go through life without finding their soulmate or receiving their connection at all.

This particular thought had been weighing on Minjee's mind a lot lately.

Hazel eyes danced around the streets, seeing more soulmates together or, at least, a hint of their connection. Despite her love for love stories, a sinking feeling started to form in her stomach.

At twenty three, she had completed numerous rounds around the sun, yet there was still no sign of her connection.

She did her best not to let it bother her, reassuring herself that there was still time, but silently, it ate at her. She longed for that connection, yearning to know that her soulmate was out there.

The sinking feeling melted away as her favorite cafe, Nook & Nibble, came into view. The twinkling lights of the cozy shop reflected in Minjee's eyes, lifting her mood immediately.

A little bell chimed overhead as she stepped through the threshold. There she was greeted by warmth and the cozy smell of coffee and baked goods.

"Good morning, Minjee," the owner, an older lady, greeted the ballerina upon entering, a light smile decorating her sweet face. "The usual, like always?"

"Good morning, Mrs. Smith," Minjee returned with a bright smile, dimples dented into her cheeks. "Yes, please."

Mrs. Smith gestured for the ballerina to go to her usual booth before turning around to start on her drink.

Before she could start making her way over, she heard a loud commotion behind her.

"Minnie!" The familiar voice of her best friend, Yuna, shrieked.

Turning around, she saw her friends already seated in their usual booth by the window. Yuna excitedly waved at her to come over.

"I know you missed me and all, but damn you saw me a few hours ago," Minjee teased the loud girl with a light smirk, her eyes sparked with mischief as she made her way over.

"You know I can't live without you," cried Yuna dramatically, pulling her best friend into the booth next to her.

Across from them, their friends Elena and Belle watched with amused eyes.

"Yeah, how could you let the poor girl wait for so long?" Elena chimed in, Belle silently chuckled as her shoulders shook a little.

"I am so sorry, bubs. My pilates class went on longer than expected," playing long, Minjee's dramatics matched Yuna's. "Please forgive me."