"Try, over a dozen. Maybe two." Joel comment.

"So what? You killed over two dozen uninfected men and women with guns and you survived. The infected are easier and dumber."

Joel lowered his head hearing that. He definitely doesn't want the kid to reveal his past for the others. Some turned towards him with widened eyes.

"I'm gonna go and kill them. Let it be days or week. But I will make it back."

"What if you got bit?" Tommy protest.

"I'll bite them back. Simple as that."

Maria sighed, crossing her arms while walking towards (Y/N).

"Fine. You're on your own. But first, talk to them. Would be better if you actually tell them about your future plan."

(Y/N) just shrugged.

"No promise."

(Y/N) left the meeting, returned to his place.

He didn't inform Ana or Jason about his impending mission. Just put on the usual smiles and cooked for them while making his preparation in secrets.

Ellie, on the other hands has been extremely anxious ever since the talk with (Y/N). The good friend she thought she knew is no more. Now he's just a survivor with (Y/N)'s appearance.

"The fuck is going on with me..."

*Thud! *Thud!

"Coming!"

She went over and open the door, revealing her now best friend Jesse.

"Hey."

"Care for a walk?"

"Okay..."

Waking through the street in the community, Jesse and Ellie had some small talks before the Asian guy brings up the most important topic.

"So uh... There's infected close to Alpine Valley. And Maria thinks of sending someone more capable to deal with them."

"How many?"

"Over a dozen, maybe two. Several clickers. Could be more in hiding." That doesn't sound good.

"Did Joel take on the mission?"

Jesse chuckled lightly at her question.

"No. He didn't get the chance." That confused Ellie.

Usually something that dangerous involved him and Tommy and/or Jesse. There used to be someone as capable as them by the name Eugene. He's a very close friend with Tommy before he passed away.

"And that leaves you wit-"

"It was (Y/N)."

"Oh..."

An awkward silence followed.

"So he's joining the patrol line or is it temporary?"

"Temporary. He said he's leaving after some time." Ellie's eyes widened hearing that.

"How did yo-"

"After he left the meeting, Joel told us everything. He's...hard to follow. Seeing how you and him were friends, maybe you should talk to him." Ellie sighed, not sure what she's doing with the information.

Sure she knew that (Y/N) will leave soon, she doesn't know him we'll enough to stop him. But now? Like Joel, maybe she needs to talk to him, sees if they could go back to being friends and hoping, to stop him from his idiocy.

"I don't even know anymore Jesse."

"But that's not the worst part."

Now Ellie is confused.

"He's going there alone."

"What?"

"He doesn't want any help. Said he'll make it back. Talking as if the infected were insects to him. Idiocy aside, he got balls. Wonder if he survived outside all those years because of the confidence."

"And Maria let him?"

"What can she do? It's not like she can just chain him up. And he already planned on leaving anyway, so the two kids are not his priority anymore."

Ellie can't believe what she just heard. She didn't know the extent of (Y/N)'s survival skills, but she didn't doubt him either.

Going against those freaks? He had better chances with help.

"Think you can talk to him? We all tried. Even Joel and he's still unfazed."

She thought for a moment, trying to think of the best solution for this situation.

"I'll talk to him."

And with that, they both make their way to (Y/N)'s house.

*Thud! *Thud!

Jesse was at a distance, wanting to give Ellie some alone time with her old friend. The auburn girl knocked on the door and was greeted by a cute little blondie.

"Hi. Ana right?" Trying her best, she put up a cringed smile while greeting the little girl.

"Yeah..."

"Um... Is (Y/N) here right now?"

Ana tilted her head, looking at the woman in front, confused.

"Who?"

Now Ellie's confused. She's possibly the closest person to (Y/N) yet she didn't even know his real name?

"Ana. Who is it?"

Ellie managed to take a look inside through the opening. She sees (Y/N), the one she's looking for, holding a little boy within his arm.

"Hey..." Ellie greets him awkwardly.

"Ba..."

Jason blurted out, catching their attention instead. Ana smiled and (Y/N) chuckled at his attempt to communicate.

He then turned towards Ellie at the door, checking her out for a bit.

"Can I help you?"

"Can I...talk to you for a moment?"

~~

Ana is currently playing with Jason inside their room, whereas Ellie and (Y/N) are sitting at the table.

"Jesse told me that you're going to Alpine Valley to clear the infected."

"I am." Straight answer from him.

"And that you're going alone..."

"Sure is."

Ellie's slowly but surely burning from hearing his answer.

"Are you dumb or stupid?" She asked him, more straight forward.

"Which one do you think suits me?" That came from nowhere.

"Neither. You're fucking crazy and suicidal."

"I'm not."

"Then why insist on going alone?"

"Because I want to." (Y/N) shrugged.

"And if you don't get back?"

"Since when did you care?"

"I-"

A long beat. No one says anything. Just (Y/N) and Ellie avoids each other's eyes contact. Until.

*Thud. *Thud.

The knockings snapped them up.

"I'll get it."

Ana went towards the door, happy to see the guest.

"Joel!"

"Hey kiddo." He returns the hug, then looked into the place. His eyes met with Ellie's.

'Fuck...'

__________________________________________________________

Here. 🤯