Chapter 8: The Sleeping Beauty 2

-Kingston-

"You will be married." Hazel's voice keeps replaying in my mind. His voice cold and hopeless. Dion hasn't woken in five days and all feels hopeless.

As the servants prepare me for the ceremony my mind is so far away as I contemplate our past. As they dress me in the ceremonial robe Hazel reappears.

"How is Dion?" I ask somberly.

"Shouldn't you know better than anyone." He says bitterly as he adjusts my collar.

"Mother..please forgive me. I didn't abandon Dion, I just wanted..

"To give him the world?" He offers.

"Yes. I had nothing to offer. I was a fugitive. I didn't know that making the choice to succeed or die would hurt him. I would never want hurt him. I love him the absolute fucking most."

The Empress sighs, "This I know even as my rage bubbles beneath the surface. Even in this moment I try and try to discern what exactly that anger is...I suspect it's the feeling powerless. Objectively, I know you are just as powerless. But Dion is my baby...

His voice cracks as he lifts his gaze to meet mine, "I am not ready. He is not ready. But I must allow a beast of a man to marry him, to lay with him. Take his innocence while he sleeps...

Tears break free of his hazel eyes and stream down his face.

"How is a mother to feel? Who can I give my rage too?"

My heart throbs in my chest, "Me mother, give it to me. I deserve that much."

"I want to but even now as you stand before me a man I can't help but also see my adoptive son who woke up each night to sit with me. My son who helped me the most when the twins were small. The son I mourned and prayed for every single night and still do. My heart can't bare to scorn you truly when the goddess has answered my prays and brought you back to us." He says as he places a warm hand to my cheek before wiping at my tears.

I hadn't realized I too was crying. He wipes both of my cheeks, "Stop crying. We have a ceremony to attend." He says as he pulls me into his arms.

"Still... there is no one I rather give Dion to. Let that be enough for today." He pats my back softly before releasing me, turning away, and walking towards the door without another word.

The ceremony is reminiscent of a funeral. Mostly everyone is here already except Amani and Dion. The doors of the throne room open and I turn to see Amani walking forward with Dion asleep in his arms. My mate has been dressed in the formal bridal dressings. As Amani approaches I notice Dion's hair and perfect makeup no doubt done by the Empress personally.

Amani stands across from me at the altar stone faced, "Let's get this over with." He says gruffly as he turns to face his father.

"Yes, this is a queer ceremony of sorts but binding. Amani and The Empress will be standing in for Dion. Let us first start with the exchanging of the garlands." The Emperor says and I lift the Varmala of roses, marigold, and orchids from around my neck. I take a step forward and place it around Dion's. When I've finished The Empress steps forward to take the garland hanging from Amani's neck before placing it on mine.

Next is the Aachman. The Emperor pours the water into my palms as I recite the mantra. When finished  I drink the water from my own hands. I hold the water in my mouth, step forward to kiss Dion sharing the water with him.

The rest of the evening was quite long but by the end Dion and I are married in the eyes of The Emperor.
By the time it is  time for the Consummation I feel hollow inside. How can I not? I'm meant to take Dion's virginity without permission and while he's unconscious. The whole thing is repulsive.