Chapter 22

"Thank you for having tea with me and listening to me ramble on about dragons and phoenix," Sana said as she walked Rhyel to her door. "And thank you for the necklace."

"You're welcome. It suits you," he said, trailing his fingers over the tear shaped stone. "And I didn't think you were rambling. I learned a lot from you."

"You're...you're too kind," Sana said, laughing softly. "I'm sure I was just telling you things you already know."

"No, not really," he said, rubbing a hand over the back of his neck. "I wasn't really interested in much besides learning about Accalia, the Darcanos wolves and Tsidian moths."

"Really? But you have so many gifts and abilities."

"I do." Rhyel nodded. "And I'm ashamed to say I take them for granted sometimes."

"Well, then maybe we can learn about these things together when we have our morning tea."

A warm smile tugged at Rhyel's lips and her heart simmered at his tender gaze. "I'd like that and maybe you'd like to have tea on my balcony tomorrow morning?"

Sana's eyes grew wide. He was inviting her to...to his room?

"Only...if you're comfortable with that."

"No...I-I'd love to."

"Good, then we'll do that and do you still want to go out on a run with my wolf today?"

Sana nodded in excitement. "Yes, of course."

"Alright. I have a good place to take you and we can have lunch in the forest."

"I'm...I'm really looking forward to it."

"Then I'll make sure my wolf and I show you a good time," Rhyel said, opening her door. "I'll see you soon."

"I'll be ready," she said, giving a small wave as he slipped out into the hall.

Sana closed the door behind him and a smile tugged at her lips. She didn't know why anyone would think he was a barbaric lord when all he ever did was show her kindness.

"Oh my, I'm not sure I've ever seen my Lord like that," Kezi said as she carried their empty pot of tea and cups inside. "Don't think he's ever gifted his betrothed with jewelry either."

"Mm-hm." Eula smiled as she opened Sana's wardrobe. "Seems to me that something is blossoming between you two."

A blush burned up to Sana's ears as she shook her head. "No, Rhyel is...he's just being nice because of the quest. He doesn't feel anything for me."

"Mm, I don't know my Lady. Being loyal is one thing, but there's something different about him now," Eula said, laying a pair of trousers and a long black and silver embroidered waistcoat on her bed. "And how do you feel about him, hm?"

"O-oh, I-I don't know," Sana said, curling her fingers around her necklace. "I think I like that he talks to me and listens like I...I matter. I like that he wants to be my friend and that's all I could hope for."

Eula and Kezi shared a glance before they smiled. "Yes, friendship is a wonderful thing, my Lady," Kezi said, sitting the tray on the coffee table by the fireplace. "But it's okay to hope for more."

"Maybe, but I'm...I'm happy with the kindness you've all shown me," Sana said, padding across the room to the bathroom. "I'm going to take my bath now."

"Alright. We'll have your clothes ready when you're done," Eula said, bowing.

"Thank you," she whispered, closing the door but not before Sune flew in behind her.