Chapter 6

Rhyel placed a pouch of gold coins in Olin's hands. "Thank you for your help."

Olin's eyes grew wide as he clenched the pouch. "Lord Rhyel, this is too much."

"It's hardly enough for what you're going to do," Rhyel said as a few soldiers loaded the carriage with crates of wine and peat whiskey. "Tell your master that House Darcanos is grateful to receive his daughter."

"I will." Olin nodded. "But I'm not sure I'll be able to get access to the information you need."

"You don't need to worry about that," Rhyel said, holding out his arm to the young soldier with tightly curled black hair and light brown eyes. "Junak will be joining you and reporting back to me. You just need to point him in the right direction."

"Forgive me, Lord Rhyel, but I don't think the Lightbournes will welcome one of your soldiers returning with me unannounced."

"Not to worry, Olin," Junak said, standing beside Rhyel. "I will follow you in disguise. The Lightbournes won't be able to detect my presence."

"Junak is very skilled in masking his abilities," Rhyel said, sliding a hand to Olin's shoulder. "Remember, this is for the benefit of Lady Sana. I just need to know what the head of your house is hiding to keep her safe."

"Right." Olin nodded before he bowed to Rhyel. "Thank you for caring about her and thank you for your generosity, Lord Rhyel."

"You're welcome. You should be on your way," Rhyel said, turning to Junak. "See you in a few months."

Junak pressed his fist over his chest and bowed. "My Lord."

Rhyel watched the carriage disappear beyond the gates of the castle before he turned away and walked up the steps. Soon he would find out just what kind of upbringing Sana had and why her family disregarded her. He didn't buy the idea that her mistreatment was purely due to her lack of abilities and he was starting to wonder if this alliance with the Lightbournes was to make a mockery of the north.

These lands may be the harshest in the realm, but this nation was nothing to be laughed at and he worked very hard to instill pride in his people.

And hopefully, Sana would learn to have pride in her status as Lady of House Darcanos once she found pride in herself.

Rhyel tossed and turned unable to get comfortable or find any peace in the quiet of the night. His mind kept returning to the moment he smelled Sana's blood and fear. He'd never shifted that quickly or ran that fast to reach anyone. The way his wolf reacted to her scent for a moment he thought Sana was his truemate, but when he found her in the clutches of that golem the feeling was gone.

He sighed, rubbing a hand over his heart. There would never be a match for his soul, but he couldn't stop thinking about the fear in Sana's violet eyes when they first met.

He didn't want her to be afraid of him and for the first time since Zena decided he needed a wife, he wanted Sana to choose to stay here.

Slipping out of the bed, Rhyel shuffled across his room and opened the glass doors to the balcony. He took a long breath of the crisp night air and leaned against the stone bannister, watching the stars twinkling in the black sky.

Sana had nowhere to go if she left, but he didn't want her to choose to stay out of necessity. There was something about her that made him want her to feel like she belonged, that she had a place here and she was worthy of being his wife and general of Darcanos.

He was used to strong willed women like Zena and Cori who commanded the military or the previous women Zena tried to betroth him to. They demanded what they wanted and carried themselves with confidence regardless of how powerful their abilities were.

But how could he make her feel that way? And why did he feel so strongly about it?

Sana would do as she was told. He doubted she'd ever ask for anything or speak out of turn.

Dragging a hand through his tousled hair, Rhyel sighed again.

That wasn't what he wanted from her and he hoped that wasn't what she wanted for herself.

Maybe when Junak uncovered more information about her life with the Lightbournes he'd have an idea of what she went through, but that wouldn't be enough to instill the confidence she'd need to thrive here.

Zena would know what to do. She had a strong ability to assess the auras of people. It was why she was so adept at sourcing skilled warriors and staff for the castle. Yet, she'd never managed to source a proper replacement for herself.

But maybe this time would be different with Sana.

A/N: Rhyel is pretty invested in finding out more about Sana

A/N: Rhyel is pretty invested in finding out more about Sana... he's also pretty cut up about about his wolf's initial reaction to her...Very curious indeed 🤔

Very curious indeed 🤔