CHAPTER TEN

"Wait, so you almost got sold in an abandoned supermarket, how ironic!" That was Maureen, Laliana's workmate's reaction after Laliana told her about her abduction. Mary was at the drivers seat of her red Toyota Corolla while Laliana was at the front passenger seat. That morning, Maureen was heading to her sister's house and was kind enough to drop Laliana at the precinct while on her way there. Maureen was a short and plump woman in her mid thirties. Laliana noticed that ever since she met Maureen , she was always in a dungaree.
"Don't worry Lala, I'm sure your children are ok and you you'll find them sooner than you think," Maureen comforted Laliana who started to dab her eyes gently using a hankey not noticing the new nickname given to her. She was on the verge of crying ever since she got into that car but Maureen's last statement made her breakdown finally.
"All right, here we are ," Maureen said as she pulled over to the front of the New York Police Department. "Thanks Maureen," Laliana hugged her new friend then got off the car. Maureen gave Laliana a thumbs up then swiftly drove off.
Laliana took a deep breath and stepped in the police station. That morning she had on a dark green dress with sleeves that was slightly below her knees and black leather sandals on her feet. All of them were donations of course. No Afro but her black and wooly hair was partially combed back leaving the ends free and bouncing on her shoulders.
The place was big all right. Everything in there spelt out serious crime punching business. Mini offices subdivided by wooden boards had men or women dressed officially who were busy with the computers. The predominant colour blue could be seen on the many police officers' uniforms although some had guns held at the sides of their trousers' but were not in uniform.
Laliana had never been in a police station before. Even when Beni was in custody, she did not even consider visiting him in the holding cells the day she knew he was arrested. Speaking of Beni, Laliana got a strange feeling of deja vu when she saw a woman running past Laliana almost knocking her down while heading for the front desk. She had a bandage wrapped around her head and was asking for help from her abusive husband.
"Don't believe her! She is lying!" A man who appeared to be the woman's husband could be heard roaring from behind. "Cop's please save me from this maniac!" He tried to choke me to death!" The woman cried. Before the man could lay his bare hands which bore very visible scratch marks on his wife, three police officers literally jumped on him making him utterly immobile. He was immediately put in handcuffs and literally carried to a room mysterious to Laliana.
Laliana almost forgot what brought her there after witnessing what happened before her. She suddenly felt someone tapping her back in a stern manner. Turning back,"Miss, either you get out or do what brought you here. No idle sitting!" The male officer with a red beard said. As the officer could see, Laliana was not seated but he was ignorant enough to mention that. Laliana erased that remark from her head and quickly said, "I' m here to report of my missing children, sir!" " Well then follow me,"
Laliana was led to a room where she found a female officer, Officer Richards was her name. After giving Officer Richards all the necessary information concerning her children, Laliana was given the officer's phone number. Since Laliana had possessed no phone, she was asked to give the shelter's number so that she could receive updates.
Relief was painted on Laliana's face. Even though she was nowhere near finding Zari and Joni, at least she made a tangible step of reporting the matter to the police. As she was heading for the exit, she stopped on her tracks when she saw a bunch of people with cameras and microphones clogging up the exit way. Laliana could see the back of a tall bald and skinny man in a jet black suit as he was moving his hands up and down while trying to explain something that Laliana couldn't hear.
He was in front of the invasive journalists who were continuosly bombarding him with questions. Luckily two officers were on either of his sides and did a good job of preventing the journalists from touching him. The word "trafficker" was popular on most of their mouths and that was what Laliana heard quite clearly.
Something hit Laliana so hard from behind this time causing her to fall down. Looking for what hit her, she found herself trapped again in the gaze of the blue eyes that had once made her heart leap and not skip a beat. "Sorry miss, are you all right?" He asked in a concerned tone while gently pulling Laliana up to her feet. Laliana felt goosebumps as she felt his strong arm hold her waist while helping her up. The two continued staring at each other with his left arm still on her waist.
He was dressed as formal as ever in his tight fit dark green suit. His hair was still in the manly ponytail. The rectangular spectacles he had on, showed his kin nature. Laliana did not notice the bunch of papers that were currently spread on the clean and shiny floor. A smile slowly creeped up her face when she realised that they both had on the same colour of clothing. He smiled in return causing her to blush uncontrollably.
"Detective Smith! Daniels really needs the official report outside now!" Officer red beard, said. Detective Smith let go of Laliana and quickly picked the papers that were on the floor . "Bye" he said awkwardly to Laliana then rushed to where the bald guy was talking with the disheveled papers.

Thanks for continuing to read this story. Updates are coming soon! ! !🙂☺️😋