00:13

Fall break

Fall break

Just like I expected, another break without my mother. The grouchiness in my father returned and now I was forced to come home with him. My Grams invited us all over for dinner, which in reality I didn't mind. But at the same time, the last place I wanted to go was over there. It was always tense between my father and my Uncle Demetrius.

It's been a feud between the two ever since I could remember and it was played out.... Entirely. The only bright side about going was that I was gonna see my cousin Meech. I always saw him more as a brother figure in my life. When it came time for college, I was sad as hell when we didn't get accepted into the same college. We grew up doing everything together.

At the end of the day, I was gonna support his decision. Definitely since the college he ended up going to was beneficial for his football career. I pulled along the curb behind my father's car as I prepared myself.

"Pull your pants up" my father scolded. "And take that hat off"

"They not even sagging" I muttered as I rolled my eyes. I grabbed my backpack before following up the gravel path. Always tryna mess up my drip. He pushed open the screen door as a few of my little cousins started running past with nerf guns.

"Go speak" he nudged my shoulder as I glared at him holding back the eye roll that was gonna follow. I walked towards the kitchen where my grams, aunt kee and a few of my older cousins were.

"Is that my JuJu" I started smiling as my aunt wiped her hands on the kitchen towel.

"What's good Auntie, I ain't know you were in town" she pulled me into a hug rocking us back and forth.

"I thought I come surprise y'all"—she pulled back as she held my face in her hands—"look at you, got so grown on me"

I chuckled. "I mean" I stepped back wiping my shoulder.

"Go off Ju" she started hyping me up as I rubbed my hands together and posing. They all started laughing.

"Y'all two are a trip, come give ya grandmama a hug" she held her arms out and I gave a huge embrace. I reached my hand behind her to sneak a biscuit.

"I know you ain't tryna take one of the honey biscuits" I got hit with the kitchen towel as I laughed.

"Damn I forget how violent you are" I joked as my grams shook her head.

"Out my kitchen boy, your cousin around there" My aunt started laughing as I reached and grabbed a biscuit—successfully.

"JULIAN" I was out of the kitchen before she could hit me with a kitchen rag once again. I spoke to a few of my cousins that were having a serious game of spades—not like they were good anyway.