00:07

"Did you hear me?" I glanced up from my phone as Cierra gave a me a curious look

"Shit my bad, what was you saying?" I sat my phone down on my lap as I picked my fork up to continue my short lunch.

"So Mr. Sawyer has been a bitch about the make up work policy. You know how he feels about sports and it interfering with education but cheer—" while she continued to ramble on I glanced back in my lap at the message thread with my mother.

Sorry Julian, work has me tied up and is keeping me a week over schedule. I promise I'll be home next week. Love ya🩵

This was the third cancel she has done on me since she went to London. Between my mother doing runway and my father busy with his work. I haven't seen both of my parents in the same room where we all just eat and enjoy each other company.

Instead I was left with the grouchy grinch who has been on my ass about basketball. I just wanted my mother to come back to settle the peace between us. I clicked my phone off as I glance back up at Cierra who was still rambling on about her teacher and with cheerleading.

"So how's practice going? Yall ready for the season" I sighed running a hand over my face.

"Can I be honest with you Ce?" She smiled grabbed my hand assuring.

"Of course you can, you know I'm here for you" I swiped my tongue on my bottom lip as I thought about what I was going to say.

"Truthfully, I don't even wanna play ball no more. Shit has been stressful recently" her thumb stop caressing the top of your hand as she raised her eyebrow.

"You want to quit? Like stop playing college basketball all together?" I nodded.

"I'm just not that determined to make it pro like I use to be"

"So what are you gonna do then? Get a regular 9-5?" I raised my eyebrow.

"What you mean?" She shrugged.

"I'm just saying you have a chance to play a sport for your career and have fun with it versus some of us who will be doing jobs we won't love" For some reason I couldn't help but think about Normani. Would she be stuck doing a job she doesn't love?

I figured I was pushing my boundaries back at the park. It wasn't my intention to offend her but I could also tell her love for science wasn't as strong as her passion for art. I just wanted her to see that.

"Look Julian, I think it would be a mistake for you to quit now. You've been on the radar for the NBA a lot recently. I say just stick with it as your security blanket"

"I guess you right" she smiled rubbing my hand.

"Trust me I understand the feeling of falling out of love with something you put your all in but you worked your ass off to get here so you minds well commit to the end"