Chapter 2 - Magic

By the time Eun Ho came back, I had prepared everything I thought I might need. I had placed a cushion on the floor next to Ajumma, a bucket of warm water and some clean rags. I had no idea if I would need any of it but weren't those the usual things a doctor prepared? What I was going to do was unconventional. Who knew what I would or wouldn't need?

"Here," Eun Ho offered a thick branch to me.

"Thank you. Good job," I smiled, praising him whilst ruffling his mop of hair. Good enough, I hoped. I placed it within easy reach and sat down on the cushion. "Eun Ho, close the door. Don't let anyone come in, araso?"

"Araso, O'kay. I'll guard the door. I won't let anyone in until you're done. Your magic is a secret!"

Making him guard the main door would give him some purpose. I did not really expect anyone to come for a surprise visit. Everyone was avoiding everyone else. Families tried to keep within their core units. Conversations were shouted from a distance to friends and neighbors. Things were bought and exchanged by leaving money, goods and food at certain agreed places to minimize contact. Every precaution was being taken and the spread had lessen in the last week. Ajumma suddenly showing symptoms were a shock.

"Will it hurt?" she asked softly. "I can bear it if it will let me last longer. Eun Ho is still a child and needs me."

"I don't think so. Eun Ho said it didn't hurt."

"You did it on him?" her voice rose in panic and she half got up from her futon. How could Si Woo test something on her baby? What if something had gone wrong?

"Ajumma," I said solemnly, "I would never hurt Eun Ho. I would never put Eun Ho in danger. I've done it successfully before ... on others." I did not specify that the 'others' I meant were small animals, not humans. Eun Ho was the only human I had done my 'magic' on.

"Others? Oh ... so you've done it before?" she relaxed a fraction. "But you're not sure with me?

"No," I admitted. "The plague is different, it's a disease inside someone. What I've done so far are curing small injuries."

She frowned not understanding my logic. Why would it be any different?

I sighed. I couldn't blame her. I myself did not know the extent of what I could do or how I did it. Truth was, I was still experimenting and practicing on my own. It was trial and error but I was getting better at it. However, curing small animals and Eun Ho's superficial cut could not be compared to curing a deadly disease in an adult. I prayed it would work. Ajumma's life was precious!

"Ajumma, if you trust me, please lie down and let me help you ..." I trailed off waiting for her permission.

"I ... Aaaah," she hesitated.

She glanced at her son through the half open bedroom door and made a decision. What choice did she really have? She would do anything for Eun Ho. If there was even a slim chance she could survive, she would risk it. Her young son needed her. Slowly she lay back down and nodded bravely.

"Thank you," I said softly. Steadying myself, I prepared myself mentally for the ordeal.

I took her cold hand with my left and gripped Eun Ho's solid branch with my right. Ajumma looked curiously at me but said nothing.

I focused on the bluish green weave spreading on her fair skin and steeled myself. I willed my newly found internal power, gathering it within me. When there was enough, I tentatively reached out, moving it down my left hand and into Ajumma's. Her eyes widened at the strange sensation but said nothing. Encouraged, I continued seeking the disease.

Upon contact, I flinched. It felt cold, dark and ominous. Shuddering, I followed it cautiously going from the wispy discolored tendrils to the thicker ropes which led right to her heart. It seemed that the disease was rooted in the heart. Drawing a deep breath, I anchored myself and pulled. After initial resistance, I could feel something loosen and give way inside her. Quickly, I pulled again, harder and that was when the resistance ceased. The dark energy then flowed easily along my energy lines into me. Steadily, I pulled at it until I was sure I got every bit of the horrible disease out of Ajumma.

I felt unclean and uncomfortable. A throbbing icy pain had started in my heart making it palpitate without rhythm. The strong uneven bursts were frightening. But, I saw with satisfaction that Ajumma's hand was clear again, her pale skin had no more signs of the terrible disease.

I felt cold to my core and started trembling. A terrible exhaustion enveloped me making me slump. I had successfully transferred the plague into my body.

"Si Woo- ah ..." Ajumma's voice was filled with fear and wonder. Her color was back and she was no longer shivering. "What have you done?" she asked fearfully.

"Ahhh ... so this is what it feels like," I said weakly.

"Michyeosseo?! Are you crazy? Joogeuilae? Do you have a death wish?"Ajumma cried, understanding finally dawning on her. "You silly, silly boy!" she scolded me as tears started falling from her eyes. "Why? If I had known, I would never have let you do it!"

Guilt and sorrow filled her face. "Now you'll die! You'll die instead of me! Why did you do it? I'm so sorry Si Woo."

"It's o'kay Ajumma, no one is going to die. I'm not done yet," I said with a confidence I did not feel. "Now is the second part."

I gathered myself again, this time it will be more difficult. The deadly disease in my body was playing havoc with my internal control. Still, I managed, I had to. Slowly, carefully, I pushed the horrible disease into my right hand and into the wood. It was harder as the branch was dead. I had found out from my experiments that pushing wounds into the living was easier. A few live trees at the edge of the forest baring unnatural cuts and injuries on them was proof of my activities.

Ajumma stared in disbelief as the telltale bluish green streaks 'ran down' my hand onto the branch. The wriggly lines thicken and branched out again and again, snaking all over the wood. Since the branch was smaller than a human, it was soon covered. It's natural woody surface disappeared under the dirty murky color.

I gave a final push, shoving the last of the plague out of my body. Cutting connection, I instinctively flung the branch away in disgust. It landed with a thump on the floor and rolled harmlessly into a corner.

I was feeling better already but the drain of using my life force took a terrible toll on me. Transferring the plague was the hardest thing I had ever done.

Then the world became dark and blurry.

The last thing I saw was Ajumma's worried face.