Twenty-Five: Choose Me

ZAHRIA

The desperation with which Arien asked me to come back haunted me.

This is wrong but I couldn't stop crying and feeling bad about everything.

Asael's men dropped me off at his home in London where Verena was already waiting for me with tears in her eyes and I was engulfed in a tight hug.

That was more than a few hours back. I called my parents and assured them I was alright and safe.

I lay in silence in one of the guest rooms after spending an hour talking with Verena and assuring her that I was okay.

I didn't tell her any details about what all happened between Arien and me, all I told her was that he didn't hurt me and I was clothed and fed.

All I could think of was Arien.

I was worried about him but a little relieved that Asael was with him so he would take care of him.

Stop thinking about him.

Forcing myself to not think of him, I closed my eyes, hoping to fall asleep instead. Anything is better than thinking too hard.

But it wasn't long before I heard some voices coming from down the hall and when I heard my name being mentioned, I got curious.

Coming out of the room, I walked down the corridor, at the end of which it opened onto a huge living room.

I paused at the end, making sure I wasn't visible as I peeked inside the living room.

Verena sat on the couch, back towards me, Asael had just seemed to arrive as he took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes, taking a seat beside her.

Verena scooted close to him, asking, "How's Arien?"

My heart thumped loudly at the mention of his name and my ears perked up.

Asael closed his eyes and leaned his head back on the couch. "I'm not sure. Did you talk to Zahria?"

Verena nodded. "Yes, why?"

Opening his eyes, he grabbed his glasses and wore them. "Did she tell you anything...weird?"

"Like what?"

"I don't know. Something happened between them for sure."

"She only told me that Arien never hurt her and he kept her fed and all."

"That is something unexpected too. He must have had an episode during this time yet he didn't hurt her, which is good but something new."

"Maybe she never witnessed his episode..." Verena suggested.

I have witnessed them. Twice. The first time in the kitchen when he was crying on the floor. The second was when he tried to kill me but then he stopped and apologized so yeah, he didn't really hurt me in my opinion.

He sighed softly. "He had a panic attack and fainted when Zahria left."

WHAT?

"Fainted?" Verena asked.

He nodded. "He was literally begging her to come back. It didn't sound like he wanted her back for revenge...he already has James." He shook his head. "I don't know. His behaviour towards her is confusing."

"I will ask Zahria when she wakes up." He added.

I chose that moment to step out from hiding, clearing my throat loudly.