Staying Up

word count: 508

.𓈀.

You knew that Paul was the one for you the moment you met him. You may be only human, and therefore can't imprint, but you still believe in soulmates, and Paul is yours.

Sure, he's quick tempered and can be more than a handful sometimes, but he's the other half of your soul, just as you're his.

You lay on the couch at your house, waiting for your boyfriend to get back from patrol.

"Why don't you just wait on the porch?" your cousin, Emily, asks.

"Because the couch is comfortable, and there's no bugs in here." Emily laughs and lays a blanket over you.

"Fair enough." You hum in content as your body warms up due to the blanket.

"Just out of the dryer?"

"Obviously."

"I love you so much." Emily rolls her eyes.

"I love you, too, kid." You close your eyes and hear her footsteps retreat upstairs.

You hear the boys before they storm into the house, their hollering jolting you from your half-asleep state. You groan and sink further into the blanket, wishing the pack would be a little more considerate.

"God, I'm starving," Embry's voice complains.

"You're always hungry, Call," Quil shoots back. "Anyone home?" You choose not to reply, your body too tired to utter a noise.

"Shut the hell up," Paul snaps, finally spotting you on the couch. You hear some shuffling as the other boys peek over the back of the couch at you. You open your eyes very slightly, your heart soaring at the soft, loving look Paul is giving you.

"You're staring," you mumble. The boys scatter, uttering apologies, but Paul stays where he is, a smile blooming on his face.

"I know," he grins.

"It's creepy."

"It's romantic." You snort, sitting up. Paul sits on the couch, and you immediately lay your head in his lap.

"How was patrol?"

"Boring. No vampires to kill today."

"Shame," you tease. Paul rolls his eyes lovingly and leans down, kissing your forehead.

"I'm sorry we woke you."

"I wasn't fully asleep yet," you reply.

"Were you waiting up for me?" Paul asks, a smile in his voice. You open your eyes, giggling at his cheesing face.

"I always do. You know this. Whether I actually succeed or not is a different story."

"You shouldn't do that. You need sleep."

"So do you."

"I'm a wolf. I can adapt. You, my beautiful human, need sleep." You scowl playfully, and Paul kisses you, causing you to giggle. "Much better."

"Only if you lay with me."

"Wouldn't wanna be anywhere else." You sit up and Paul scoots under you, pulling you back down to lay on him instead of the couch.

"Goodnight. I love you," you yawn. You feel Paul's lips on the top of your head smile.

"Goodnight, beautiful. I love you, too."

.𓈀.

And who would have guessed

You'd fall asleep with your head upon my chest?

'Cause I've found what I need to get through

And it's you

— We Belong by Tom Felton —