“There are many items that might be dangerous for you, Jung Sejin.”

There was something that immediately came to mind when I heard the word dangerous object. That thing that was roaming around in my head was said aloud through Kwon Yido’s mouth.

“Something like a gun, for example.”

I got goosebumps. An unknown chill crawled up my spine. The fear that had crept into me remained deep in a corner of his chest, causing a dull pain.

It was a strange feeling that I couldn’t describe in words. I only heard one word, but the sight of the gun came to mind clearly. Even the black, sharp handle and trigger with a locking mechanism.

‘The gun is real.’

‘I threw away all the bullets.’

Kwon Yido’s voice seemed to be heard in my ears. The series of steps of putting the gun in the drawer and locking it passed by like a panorama.

“…There’s no need for me to go there anyway.”

Kwon Yido’s eyes softened at the slow answer. He slowly raised the corner of his mouth with a slightly relieved expression. Although he had an extremely calm expression, there was a hint of anxiety inside.

“Thank goodness.”

With those words, he left the kitchen without looking back. The heaviness remaining on one side of my chest seemed to capture my back.

* * *

The study on the first floor was much larger than the one on the second floor. The walls were all filled with books, and there was even a ladder prepared to retrieve books from high places. The staff who guided me to the study advised me not to use the ladder and politely left the study.

I took out two books I liked and headed to the greenhouse. As expected, Lee Taeseong followed me, and unlike yesterday, he sat across from me without saying a word. Even though he had a frown on my face when I held out the book.

“…What is this?”

“It’s a book.”

He probably didn’t ask this, but I just answered like that. As expected, a dull look passed through Lee Taeseong’s eyes. I felt sorry for saying this, but in a way, the way he expressed his thoughts was like Minjae.

“I brought this because I was worried you might be bored. You don’t have to read it, so do whatever you want.”

I handed him the book that was in Korean and opened the other book in front of me. Lee Taeseong glanced in my direction and blinked his eyes blankly. I knew what that gaze meant, so I spoke without taking my eyes off the book.

“It’s in French.”

“…Ah.”

When I was in college, I took French classes as a hobby. I learned only basic conversation skills, but found it quite interesting so I did additional studies on my own. Since there was a familiar language in Kwon Yido’s study, I was glad to bring it.

One thing that had been overlooked was that if you didn’t use language, I would forget it.

In the past, it would have been something I would have read without much trouble, but now it took time to even read a single sentence. The narrative structure was confusing, so I had to reread it, and I often had to pause for a moment because I came across a word I didn’t know. Fortunately, the content wasn’t too difficult, so I turned the pages slowly.

“Do you also speak French?”

Lee Taeseong asked, his eyes sparkling as if he was that curious about that. I guess he couldn’t control my curiosity even though he was showing off my discomfort. Maybe he had a huge admiration for people who could speak foreign languages.