Chapter Sixteen

Beginne am Anfang

Pretty much everyone was there already.

"Hey," Annabeth said as they entered.

Harry looked anxious. "Where were you?"

"We got distracted," Daisy said sheepishly. "Your cat is really cute, Hermione."

"Oh—thank you."

Ron looked at Daisy strangely for that, since he thought that Crookshanks was hideous, for some reason. As her friends sat down, Annabeth joined Harry at the front. They were in this together, no matter what anyone thought.

"Well," Harry said when everyone had settled again, "this is the place we've found for practices, and you've— er— obviously found it okay—"

"It's fantastic!" Cho interrupted.

"It's bizarre," Fred said. "We once hid from Filch in here, remember, George? But it was only a broom cupboard then..."

"Hey, Harry, what's this stuff?" Dean asked.

"Dark detectors," Harry said, gaining some confidence. "Basically they all show when dark wizards or enemies are around, but you don't want to rely on them too much, they can be fooled..." He watched the dark shapes lurking in the mirror for a second before turning away. "Well, I've been thinking about the sort of stuff we ought to do first and between me and Annabeth—er— what, Hermione?"

Hermione lowered her hand. "I think we ought to elect a leader."

"Harry's leader," Cho said immediately.

"And Annabeth," Simone said. "Don't be racist."

Cho looked like she was about to say something else, but decided against it.

"Yes, but I think we ought to vote on it properly," Hermione said. "It makes it formal and gives them authority. So— everyone who thinks Harry and Annabeth ought to be our leaders?"

Everyone raised their hands, though a few did so hesitantly.

"Er— right," Harry said, going a little red. "Thanks. And— what, Hermione?"

"I also think we ought to have a name," Hermione said happily. "It would promote a feeling of team spirit and unity, don't you think?"

"Can we be the anti-Umbridge league?" someone said hopefully.

"Or the Ministry are Morons group?" Fred asked.

"They're good, but they're way too obvious," Annabeth said. "We need something that we can safely talk about outside of here."

"The defense association?" Cho suggested. "The D.A. for short, so no one knows what we're talking about?"

"Yeah, the D.A.'s good," Ginny said, "only let's make it stand for Dumbledore's Army. Like Annabeth said at the Hog's Head, that's the Ministry's worst fear, and ultimately that's what led to this."

"All in favor of the D.A.?" Hermione got up onto her knees so she could count the hands. "That's a majority— motion passed!"

Hermione got up. She pinned the paper to the wall and wrote DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY in big words at the top.

"Right," Harry said. "So, Annabeth and I agreed to split the meetings fifty/fifty. So... Annabeth'll start, and then I'll take over half way."

Annabeth stepped forward. "I want to start with basic self defense," she said. "Harry will be teaching you spells, but you need to know what to do if you lose your wand."

"When will we ever lose our wand?" one of the Ravenclaws snorted.

"That's a good question," Annabeth said. "Raise your hand if you've ever lost your wand." everyone's hands but the Ravenclaw's went up. "There's your answer. Even if it isn't likely, it's important to know what to do if you don't have your wand. So today we'll start simple. I'll teach you how to block a punch and get your opponent into a basic hold. Vera, want to demonstrate?"