Chapter 17

Jack was bored. It was summer or spring in most parts of the world and the other Guardians were all busy with important, no-Jack-it-can't-wait-till-later stuff and official guardian-y duties. Boring. He considered pranking them anyway but even he knew when they were too strained to not kill him over a prank. But he also wasn't in the mood to go flying around the globe looking for something to do. So what now?

Then it hit him! Elsa! Not to prank her of course, he would never do that but-

His train of thought was disrupted by his own comment. He paused and considered. He, Jack Frost, pranked everyone indiscriminately so he really should have pranked her by now. Why then, did he not want to? Turning these thoughts over eventually concluded that it must be his 'Inner-Guardian' finally kicking in like the others kept bugging him about. Yeah, that was it! As a Guardian it was his duty to stop Pitch and to do that they needed information. As Bunny kept reminding them, Elsa probably knew this information. So then, by not pranking her, he was building trust so that she would co-operate. Yep that was definitely it!

'I mean what else could it be?' he laughed to himself. This slight moral junction now navigated; Jack set off in search of Elsa. Well, not really in search of, he knew where she was, where she always was...

----------------------------------------------

He zoomed along and, to assure himself that he really was a prankster and hadn't gone soft, went to knock on her window instead of door. Peering through the window he saw her simply sitting. Not moving, not expressing emotion, not humming or even talking to herself. Nothing, just silently sitting there. Jack reconsidered. He breathed gently on the window till the pane was frosted. He took a moment to think what animal to make. He wasn't much of an artist and he didn't know what she might like so he just went with an old classic. He cupped his hands around the bunny he had drawn on the window and worked his magic. It began to hop merrily through the air towards him. With a wave of his hand he turned it so that it was going in her direction. It circled the room, little pockets of snowflakes falling wherever it hopped.

Now, Jack wasn't one to blow his won horn (okay that was a huge lie) but he did darn good job and some awesome magic just then. Excitedly he awaited her reaction, one he assumed would be full of joy and wonder. As the bunny hopped closer to Elsa, some of it's snowflakes gently fell onto her head. She felt it. But it instead of the reaction Jack was expecting, she panicked.

Was it her doing? Were her powers out of control again? Oh no, oh no no no! Before she completely freaked she looked up and saw the bunny. She froze along with her panic. Did she make it? No, it was too beautiful, too intricate, too skillful. Seeing her staring at it in amazement Jack took the opportunity to make his grand entrance.

The bunny burst into crystals of snow that then swirled through the air in the current of the now open window. Following their journey she saw him as he dramatically somersaulted in. Again that start, that shock, that fear of the unexpected, of her own shadow.

"What's up?" he asked playfully while perching on the crook of his staff, attempting to lighten the mood.

She just looked at him without saying a word.

"Oh come on. Again with this? You've got to give me something."

Still she said nothing.

"Well, okay then," Jack sighed and blew a piece of hair out of his face in mild frustration. After a moment his eyes lit up briefly with a mischievous sparkle. One that the other Guardians knew meant that he had an idea, one that may not end well for those around him. Straightening up and putting on an overly serious voice he began "I suppose you're wondering why I'm here today."

No response...But then again when had that ever stopped him before!

"You see I am but a humble Guardian of fun being deprived of the opportunity to express my center, so I have come to oblige you to assist me in seeing to my, um.. uh... to.. to my, um..."

"Devoir?" Elsa finished for him.

"De what?" Jack asked surprised.

"Devoir: One's duty or obligation, especially in a formal sense."

"Jeez, where'd you learn that. I'm not sure that's even a real word."

"Well my tutor was very thorough and besides that I spent a lot of my childhood reading." Elsa replied. She barely stopped herself from mentioning the fact that she used to be crown princess of Arendelle and spent many hours in intense study for her intended role as future queen.

Jack looked gob smacked, like he was still trying to wrap his head around the new word. Without even meaning to, he had pulled a hilarious facial expression. Brows furrowed in concentration, eyes angled up like he was trying to look into his brain, nose screwed up in concentration and his mouth hung open as if stopped midsentence. It was so funny that Elsa couldn't help a small smile, albeit at his expense.

Jack noticed the smile but not how funny his face had been a second ago.

"Is that a smile I see?" he asked teasingly.

She didn't reply but didn't try to hide or deny it either.

"So, shall we go then?" Jack asked.

Her smile was replaced by a look of confusion.

"Go where?"

"Uh. To have fun duhh?"

She just looked at him even more confused.

"Wait! You do know how to have fun right? Right? RIGHT?!?!"

---------------------------------------------------------

A/N: So I found out the other day that apparently I do my best writing at midnight when I'm half asleep. I think its cause at that time I'm not thinking enough to be judgmental of my work like I usually am and just type. then later when I'm awake I go back and edit (a lot). like I said before I kinda hit a block where I'm so scared of writing something bad that even though I have all of these ideas I can't put them down to paper. either that or tiredness just makes the creative juices flow. I've heard that its actually more common than you would think to get bursts of creativity in the middle of the night. 

Anyway, thats all for now

~Till next time~