chapter six

Jason let out a deep breath and slowly moved to the food tray. He picked it up and set it in front of me. He said nothing and stood to leave. I couldn’t read his face but I could feel his mixed emotions pouring through my mind.

“Are you okay? Have I done something to upset you?” I ask quietly staring at the steaming food in front of me.

He kept his back to me. “No. You haven’t done anything. I will be fine. I just don’t think I have enough control yet. I don’t want to attack you like some impatient teenage boy.” He turned to look at me. “You are so beautiful and.” He let his words fall into the air.

My eyes shoot up to lock onto his. “You do feel it. The mate bond. Do you?”

He moved to my side and sat down. “I do, but I don’t want to rush you. The reason you are here is because you are looking for his killers. I don’t want to step in your way, but I also want to stop you. I want to make you forget him completely.”

I felt his emotions. My heart quivered and I felt a crack form between us. It must be why the bond is so weak. My need to avenge my dead mate’s killers, is the reason why I can’t claim the mate bond completely. I let my eyes drift to the bowl of stew. I can’t make myself give up. It’s still in the front of my mind. I have to do it no matter what or I can’t move on.

The weakness of this new mate bond isn’t strong enough to let the past go. I feel torn and I know it is hurting him. “I’m sorry.”

He ran a hand through his hair. “Don’t be. If I were in your shoes I would do the same. Nothing and no one would be able to stop me.” He grew quiet and we sat there.

I picked up the bowl and slowly ate my stew. Just being beside him made me feel safe. I want to be with him and I want to be his mate, but I have to do what I set out to do.

“I will help you find your mates killers. Once it is done I will claim you as mine. I want you in my arms for the rest of our lives.” He said, I could hear and feel his complete determination.

My eyes met his and we both silently agreed.  I set my bowl down and reach up to touch his cheek. Tingles from the contact spread and this time when he leaned closer our lips met in a soft and passionate kiss.

My heart filled with happiness and heat flared between us. He deepened the kiss growing more aggressive with the rising heat. He pulled away. “I will be back later.”

Before I could say anything, he left. The room felt empty and the warmth of the room died leaving a chilled feeling on my skin.

Guilt washed over me. I want him, but I still feel my heart holding on to my first mate. It’s like I’m cheating on my dead mate. I can’t shake the feeling of something left undone. I must find and kill the ones responsible for his death before I move on to another.

JASON’S POV

“Kevin. Send a scout to the forest pack and get as much information you can about Marilyn and her life there.” I linked Kevin.

The canyon between us is to large and I don’t want to lose her. If I can find the people responsible, I can help her move on. My wolf surged with rage. A woman like her should have never been through so much. Who ever blamed my people for such a horrible act will pay.

Kevin sounded curious , but didn’t ask questions. “Yes Alpha. I’ve already sent two men to find out any and everything they could.”

Kevin has been my best friend and Beta since we were children. Both of us raised in an orphanage in a human community. When we shifted the first time, we decided to run away and live in the mountains. This pack is one we made together. All the strays and rogues lived in an unorganized way with no real way to survive. Kevin and I bonded with them all and they just accepted it and followed our directions.

Being from the orphanage I already knew the pain of abuse and being whipped for disobedience. I never want these people to feel that pain. The fact that I can read her body language so well from my experience. I shake my head, she has felt the same hard blow of being beaten. She is special, a special kind of wolf. One that can bring complete obliteration to an entire pack.

If the Lycan’s find out one of their own has been treated this way, the pack will no longer exist on this planet. No one will be spared. Men, women, and children will be killed and houses will be burned to the ground. The Forest Pack is the smallest pack, but also the most aggressive. It’s alpha is weak and doesn’t care for his members. He only wants to live in luxury and have everyone do for him.

We call him the beast. I remember each lash of the silver whip from six years ago. Kevin and I passed through the lands of the forest pack and was trapped by the alpha and his beta. They whipped me while Kevin was tied to a tree. They dumped us in rogue territory and left us for dead. That is how we ended up here and now we have a thriving community much stronger than any normal pack.

Rogues; we are no longer held by that name. Honestly we are more of a pack than the Forest pack. They should be the ones considered rogues!

I took long deep breaths taking control of the rage building inside me. There is not much I can do but wait. I have a feeling that Marilyn is in danger from some unknown direction.  She is a Lycanthrope and the Lycanthropes do not understand the meaning of mercy. If they find her everyone around her will die. I can feel her still judging my people and I know she is listening intently to the way each person speaks. She doesn’t trust my people. I can feel it deep down and it hurts to know I don’t have her full trust.

I have to prove my packs Innocents to her. I’m shaken from my thoughts when Kevin suddenly links me.

“Alpha, Gareth and Arnold are on their way back. They have a lot to report.” Kevin says quickly. “They want to meet us away from the pack. It’s something the pack doesn’t need to know.”

I close my eyes. “It must be worse than I thought. I’m at the river, I’ll wait for you here.”

It wasn’t long before Kevin walked up behind me. “They are at the cliff by blood lake.”

The moon rose and it’s soft glow settled around all four of us on the cliff side. “Speak. I’ll listen to everything you have to say before I make any decisions.” My voice sounded rough.

Gareth spoke first, his hands nervously moving as he spoke. “They have humans and a witch in their pack. Not many people would speak, but we found one who told us everything we asked.” He shuffled his feet. “The witch warned us not to return or our death would be insured.”

Arnold stood straight and spoke with a low tone. “Marilyn is an Omega and her mate an omega as well. The alpha never seen either of them, but offered them as a sacrifice to some black circle witch. His warriors killed her mate, but failed in killing her. The death was at the alphas command. Her mother was killed just after her birth because the alpha didn’t want a mate who already had a pup.”

Gareth nodded and added. “The witch in the village now says she has no black magic and is there to protect the innocent. She says her family works for the Lycan King. She is the one who put a spell on the old lady. You know, to make her talk and say everything. The witch says the lady could not lie even if she tried.”

I couldn’t keep a strong grip on my control. My anger flashed in my eyes and I started seeing red flashes. Her own alpha tried to kill her and use her for black magic! I gained control and let everything sink in.

I froze. The witch works for the Lycan King! I looked at Kevin who also had a surprised look on his face. My voice sounded deeper and more on edge when I spoke. “Do they know Marilyn is part Lycan?”

Both Arnold and Gareth flinched. “The pack does not, but the witch may have an idea.” Gareth spoke softly. “The lady also admitted to using a silver whip on Marilyn. Said she raised her and treated her like the mutt she thought she was.”

I let a growl slip from my chest. Every werewolf pack on the mountain is in danger. This is not what I wanted to hear. I expected it, but I did not want it to be true! I will take this into my own hands and do what the Lycan’s haven’t done yet. I will purge the forest pack from the land with my own bare hands! I turned and quickly made my way back to the caves. Kevin and the other two stood and watched my back as I left. A lot has to be done and quickly. If Marilyn finds out what happened and she goes back alone she could be killed. A battle of alphas is no place for a Luna. Especially, my Luna. I felt my heart break for her.

I will help her get her revenge, but I won’t let her kill herself in the process.

MARILYN’S POV

I waited until everyone left the cliff. I held back my anger and felt my wolf grow to her normal large size. Now unable to hide in the brush I stood. My size alone giving away what I am. A monster. My need for blood and vengeance ran wild through me. My target clear. I let out a long deep howl. The earth around me trembled beneath my paws. I couldn’t go yet I need my full strength back. I made my way back to the caves stopping at the river to sit and cool my rage. I can’t let Jason know that I know who is responsible just yet.

I shift back to my human form and pull on the blue dress I left in the brush. I comb my fingers through my hair and sit down by the water. My mother was Alpha Liam’s mate and he had her killed because of me. I was abused and beaten because they called me a mutt. My mate died at Alpha Liam’s command and I was indeed a target.

I let my brain wonder over everything and just the thought of Liam’s name made my blood boil. I was startled at the deep tone of voice behind me. It sounded like pure anger and caused a string of pain to wrap around my heart.
“What are you doing out here!”