XII - a little party never hurt nobody

The loud music boomed through the bedroom walls, as muffled cheers erupted in the background. The once light teal glow if the lake behind the window, cast a pitch-black shadow across the room.

"Dani, can I borrow your shoes? The golden ones.", Narcissa shouted from the bathroom.

"You'd have to be more specific," Danica replied as she painted on the last coat of her red nail polish.

"The ones from BelleSang. In the red box." She walked out of the bathroom.

Danica took a second to admire her best friend. Malfoy, that bastard was the luckiest man in the world. The glittery lavender fabric of her dress elegant right enveloped her body shape A small string of pearls accentuated her slim neck and the golden locks of her hair were daintily pinned up.

"Sure, you can have them." Danica smiled in adoration. "You look very pretty."

"Thank you." Narcissa smiled back and picked up the red shoebox. "Is your dress new? It really suits you."

Danica looked at herself in the tall mirror across the room. She wore a dark navy dress with an open back. The skirt reached her mid-thigh, putting her black laced stockings on full display.

"Yeah, my mother sent it last week.", she turned back towards her vanity and applied her lipstick.

"Ugh, I'm so jealous," Narcissa whined as she strapped on the gold heels. "My mother always sends me black clothes, to represent the family and all. I had to sneak out with Kreacher to buy this one when I was at my cousin's. And the Malfoys are the same."

"You can always marry someone else."

"Danica." Narcissa warned in a serious tone. "We're past this conversation."

"Yeah, sorry. I know." Another wave of cheers erupted from behind the door. "I think we should go now." Danica stood up and linked her arm with Narcissa's, dragging her outside.

Danica and Narcissa wove through the crowd, passing groups of animated Slytherins engaged in discussions and games

The common room was buzzing with noise and cheers. Dimly lit by enchanted lanterns, it was a scene of celebration. Silver and green banners hung on the walls as students, in their Slytherin colors, reveled in the aftermath of a Quidditch loss. Despite the defeat, the air was thick with the smell of firewhiskey, and the room echoed with laughter and the clinking of glasses.

"Do they even realise that the music is muggle?" Danica motioned towards the wildly dancing Carrow twins.

"No, I don't think so." Narcissa spoke back close to Danica's ear so she could be heard through the loud music. "How do you know?"

"Sirius.", Danica playfully rolled her eyes, recalling all the memories of her summer stays at Grimmauld place.

"Say less.", Narcissa laughed. "Oh! Luci's there. I have to go.", she pointed towards the other end of the room where Malfoy engaged in some conversation with a few upperclassmen. He wore wizarding robes. To a party.

"Prince fucking charming." Danica whispered under her breath as Narcissa yet again took off.

While the life Narcissa has chosen for herself was very upsetting, she couldn't help but selfishly miss her company. Every minute her best friend spent with Malfoy was a minute less spent by her side.