IV - slugs

"Shit."

This was definitely not exemplary behaviour for a prefect.

The halls were almost completely empty, save for the few rushing students who were just as late to their first class of the year as Danica.

Her formerly powdered forehead was slightly glazed with a thin layer of sweat, and her cheeks were a burning shade of red from sprinting. She felt quite humbled due to her loud panting, realising how much more out of shape she was than she originally believed.

It was genuinely embarrassing.

When a few passing third years stared at her state in surprise, she gave them a 'you better not' look paired with a sugary sweet smile that not much to her surprise caused them to disappear out of sight in a matter of seconds.

Once she reached the old heavy wooden door that led inside the classroom she looked up the stone archway and took a deep breath in preparation.

She had to make it seem as though she was fashionably late for a significant reason.

That's right. Danica Lestrange never makes a mistake. That's what she was telling herself inside her head.

So, she raised her chin and pushed her shoulders back, quickly casting a refresher charm on herself to look like she had a relaxing stroll rather than the Olympic maneuver she pulled, and knocked on the door three times.

"Please enter." The muffled voice of her professor indicated her welcome. She didn't hesitate much and opened the door with complete confidence.

Every head inside the potions classroom turned in her direction, but no one held a look of question. No one dared to question Danica when boldness practically poured out of her body.

It appeared in her freshly manicured red nails, her sharp green eyes that carefully scanned through the room as though she was letting them know that she was above them all now, and the pungent scent of her spicy perfume.

Some would say she is intimidating, avoiding looking in her direction. Others couldn't take their eyes off her, boys and girls alike.

"Good Morning Professor. I apologise for my tardiness. I had to show the way for a few lost first-years on my way here." Her voice was smooth and controlled, not letting her unease seep through.

"Of course, of course, dear. I'm glad you're taking your new responsibilities as a prefect seriously, please take your seat." Slughorn was simply glad that one of his best students signed up for potions in their upcoming OWLs. Even despite learning his lesson of praising a student too much in the past, he couldn't help his old habits of wanting to add her picture to his collection.

However, as Slughorn motioned Danica to sit down, she kept on her charming smile and didn't move a step. Because he was motioning toward the only empty spot in the classroom.

This had to be a joke.

The desks were pushed together in blocks of 4 people, consisting of 2 pairs of students on each end to accommodate both group and partner projects.

And of course, Regulus would sit at the only spot that didn't have a partner.

Until she arrived.

"Professor, I don't think this is a good idea. Black and I are really close friends, so there might be an unfair advantage on our side during projects." She looked back at the professor again. He was mostly right, but at that moment Danica's fist was itching to land on his stupidly ignorant smile.

"Perfect! That's all the more reason for you to pair up. We're all friends here, so I don't think anyone would mind." He motioned around the classroom with his hands and awkwardly laughed at himself when no one agreed.