"We were about to leave, actually," Louisa chimed in from behind her, pressing her front against Naomi's back and resting her chin on top of her head. Louisa's perfume tickled Naomi's senses with its soft, rosy scent; it made her wrinkle her nose.

"Classes are about to start," Naomi started to explain, gaze shifting to Luthor, eyes brimming with barely concealed curiosity. "I didn't know you know Marianne, Luthor."

Luthor startled when he heard his name leaving her lips, though he quickly composed himself afterwards before others could notice it. "I just met her, actually. I didn't know you're friends with her."

[LUTHOR'S IMPRESSION: I hope Naomi doesn't mistake my and Marianne's relationship for anything more. We've only just met and... Marianne reminds me of Naomi so much, with her kindness and sincerity.]

Hm, well, wasn't that an eye-opener?

She never considered the angle that Luthor would see the Original in Marianne, but now that she was seeing his thoughts, she considered it carefully.

Was the reason why Luthor eventually felt something romantic for Marianne at the end of the novel was because she reminded him of the Original? Was this the reason why he felt guilty over his attempts to get revenge, because it meant hurting Marianne, whose 'kindness' resembled the Original's before she succumbed to madness?

Luthor didn't know about the Original's persona. For him, she was the kind girl he'd met when he was a child struggling under the tyrannical Kade family. She was his reprieve from the horrors of the family he was sold into. Although many years had passed since their first encounter, and the Original avoided him due to Rowen's slander, Luthor never forgot her.

The villain of this novel was weak to kindness and sweetness, and he fell head-over-heels for the Original who was the epitome of goodness by the rest of her peers. He never knew nor realized it had all been fake from the start.

This villain was rather pitiful. Like the Original, he was a victim of a cruel, unrequited love, one so powerful that it drove him past the breaking point. He didn't even get to see the Original when she died. When he found out which mental facility was caring for her, it had already been too late.

Such a sad man this was. Unfortunately, Luthor was in love with the Original—with her, and Naomi had no plans catering to someone whose feelings she couldn't return. She hadn't then, before Noah, and she wouldn't now.

Marianne beamed at him. "It's a new friendship! Naomi helped me out earlier this morning, and we've just spoken to each other. She's really sweet."

Luthor gave Marianne a tight-lipped smile, his eyes flitting to Naomi's figure, lingering.

[LUTHOR'S IMPRESSION: After all these years, she remains the kind girl I met years before. Of course she would help this girl as well. I'm glad she hasn't changed, and Rowen hasn't changed her.]

Naomi studied both female lead and villain with smiling eyes, thoughts deeply hidden behind a friendly façade. Despite how many times she watched this scene play out in other characters and other circles, she still found it odd to watch them together. More than anyone, she knew the roles they would play in the future.

They might have good feelings for each other right now and they might think of becoming friends, but sooner or later, their fates would inevitably tear them apart, whether through the circle's consciousness or through her interference. Although, then again, change was constant, and with her presence as a Traveler, their fates might eventually change along with hers.

If the circle's consciousness allowed it to be, of course. The goddamned thing seemed to have a mind of its own, acting outside of its own limitations and designated work, as the System warned her earlier.