FORTY-SIX

*TW: Talks of physical abuse*

It's been a week since Maeve moved in, and things have been better since that morning after everything happened. Since that morning, she hasn't had any doubts about my love for her, or our situation, but I can still tell she's holding back a bit. I can't blame her. I know that permanently living in my home is new to her, and I know that he was a constant in her life for so long - regardless of the trauma. After that morning where I talked her down, she hasn't had any other moments like that. Even if she did, I'd be there right there to help her - whatever she needed.

Although things have been better, our relationship was still a bit rocky. We don't cuddle like we used to, and other than giving each other a few kisses here and there, there hasn't been any intimacy between the two of us. I'm trying not to think too much into it, but that fear I had a few weeks ago, the one of her eventually resenting me for not letting her find herself on her own, just keeps nagging at me.

I hadn't tried to initiate anything further with her. I knew that when she was ready to be that way with me again that she would be obvious in letting me know, but there was a part of me that wanted to ask her if we were okay. I need the reassurance, and honestly, I feel a little pathetic with how needy I'm starting to get around her. It's not just the sex, but it was everything that seems to be missing now. It's not the same as it was, and I don't know if it ever will be again.

Today I was going over to Grey's, and he was going to help me sort through the rest of the details for Conrad's trial. Lucky enough for me, the last file I needed got sent to me via email by the guy I had been working on it with. Twenty-four years were still very much on the table when it came to Conrad's sentence.

Ever since Maeve asked if Conrad was going to press charges, I've made it a point to keep tabs on that. So far he hasn't put anything against her, and I don't think he ever will given the threat I put against him. Since I was taking care of his finances, I think he's put two and two together, and he wouldn't try to pull anything as sneaky as putting charges against Maeve because he knows I'm aware of the secrets he was trying to keep when it comes to money.

Grey was also trying to get me an interview at the new company he was working for, so that's another thing he was going to update me on today. I would be doing the same job there as I was doing at Bardot Enterprises, and apparently there was also room for advancement - something I didn't have when working for Conrad.

I walk out the bedroom dressed in a pair of light washed jeans and a gray hoodie, and I see Maeve seated at the dining table as I walk past the doorway to the kitchen.

"Hey," I say, and she perks her head up, giving me a smile.

"Hi, H," she responds, her smile filling out a bit more before looking back to the laptop screen.

I walk over, planting myself behind her before wrapping my arms around her shoulders. Leaning down, I press a kiss to the side of her neck as my eyes look at the screen in front of us.