FIFTEEN

"So let me get this straight

"So let me get this straight. You're cooking dinner and planning an at home date for a woman who's engaged to your boss and she's spending the night?" I hear Niall ask from my phone that's on speaker on the counter.

I pause on cutting the bread that I had made for tonight and let out a sigh. "Yeah, you've got it right."

Niall busts out into laughter and I narrow my eyebrows, shaking my head before getting back to my task.

"Harry, please, you've got to be joking."

"I'm not joking. It's not ideal but I really like her, Ni," I respond, beginning to shapes the pieces of the bread the way I wanted them. "And her situation is complicated."

"And she likes you too but she's still engaged to this guy?"

I try to stop the nagging thoughts that have been trapped in my mind this past week but Niall's question just spurs them on again.

Does Maeve really like me? Is she as infatuated with me as I am with her?

"I think she likes me, yeah."

I grab a baking sheet and place the slices of bread on it before grabbing the butter mixture I made. I slather it all over the bread, bottom lip between my teeth as I do so. I sprinkle on some cheese and then grab the baking sheet, sliding it into the oven and I set the timer.

"What do you mean you think she does? You're not the kind to just do all of what you're doing for some girl that doesn't share an interest in a relationship," Niall states. "I know you, Haz. Talk to me."

I groan and shake my head again, quickly washing my hands in the sink. "I've told you practically everything already. But tonight and tomorrow will probably reveal where we're at and then I can report for an update, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to put a downer on your night. It does sound like you really like her."

"She's amazing," I say, grabbing my phone and taking him off speaker so I can press it to my ear instead. "Most beautiful girl I've ever seen. She's funny but she doesn't show that side of herself often - I think he's told her she can be a bit much."

"Sounds like a right dickhead if you ask me," Niall scoffs and I let out a laugh.

"You're right about that."

My eyes glance over to the time and I begin to head towards the bedroom. "Look, Ni, I gotta go. Talk to you soon?"

"Hell yeah! I better get a full report after this weekend on what went down, I'm invested now."

I roll my eyes at him playfully. "Goodbye, Niall."

I toss my phone on the bed and then walk into my closet, pulling off my joggers. Maeve and I would just be staying at home tonight but I still wanted to look decent for her. I grab a pair of light washed jeans and a white t-shirt throwing them on before grabbing a cardigan.