chapter thirty five. worth it

the past.

"Happy almost Halloween, Belly

"Happy almost Halloween, Belly." Daphne got out of her car, her phone to her ear with a dozen flowers in one hand. "Happy almost Halloween, Daphne."

"I know this might be silly but can you come outside?"

"To look at Venus again?"

"No, just come outside."

Daphne was at the front door and when Belly opened it, she nearly dropped her phone. "Hey Belly." she hung up on the call.

"I didn't know what flowers you liked so I got one of each." she had a rose, a violet, a tulip and five other flowers. "Thank you." Belly just looked at her.

"Should I go? This feels ridiculous." Belly shook her head, shutting the door behind her. "No, uh, don't leave." she went down the steps.

"Uh, what are you doing here?"

"I talked to Conrad," understatement of the decade, "He said Jere has been doing better, going on dates. He seems happy."

"So he's over—" Belly doesn't have the heart to finish her sentence but Daphne nods.

"But I'm not, I don't think I'll ever get over you." Daphne felt like she was putting her heart out on the line, she was still so scared of not being good enough.

"I wouldn't have driven all the way here if I was but I have to say, coming all this way and seeing you is worth it. Even if we don't get back together, seeing you means the world to me." God, Daphne couldn't help but rest her hand over her heart, she felt a strange sense of peace. 

Daphne's words barely had a change get cold when Belly's mouth was on hers, kissing her until she dropped the flowers, wrapping her arms around Belly. In that moment everything just felt right. In that moment, Belly was all she knew and nothing could be more perfect.