Part 32 Emperor Damn It

Oh, for the love of the Emperor, why now! Minerva screamed internally. 

The sudden approach of the childish abhuman girl caused the already tense situation to become even more unstable and Minerva, for what must have been the dozenth time since arriving on this world, wondered if fate truly had a vendetta against her. 

All the Astartes and Veletaris whipped around in the direction of the oncoming Elf. Worse yet, the curious girl's reckless actions attracted the attention of Rory, Master Cato and Lelei who began to near the scene, curious as to what was occurring. 

Fortunately, the transhuman dread induced by the very presence of the Astartes and the intimidation effect of the Veletaris deterred any of the other refugees from getting too close. 

Unfortunately, the sight of unsanctioned psykers and abhuman psykers, combined with the Apostle of Emroy led to every member of the elite force raising their weapons at the oncoming group. 

This finally stopped the five individuals from closing in on the Imperials, but Master Cato didn't seem to realize the gravity of the situation and after some thought, decided that he simply needed to introduce himself to calm the issue. 

Stepping forward, he waved at the fifty-man strong force with his non-staff holding arm and spoke. 

Master Cato: Greetings gallant warriors, I am Master Cato of Cota Village, I wish to- 

Solar Warden Marshal-Sergeant: Silence. 

The lead Solar Warden ordered. His voice was devoid of emotion and monotone; if it were not for the obvious figure who'd spoken, one would have thought it had come from a servitor. 

The Marine then pointed toward the natives and continued. 

Solar Warden Marshal-Sergeant: All of you are to come with me by order of the Primarch. Failure to comply will lead to force. The remaining refugees are to join the rest of the non-combatant detainees in their housing blocks.   

Immediately, the expressions of every member of the reconnaissance mission turned white. The future for the regular displaced was not too bleak so long as they complied with Imperial authorities. 

It was the little band of oddballs they'd picked up that they were concerned with. Imperial policy towards abhumans depended somewhat on the commander who discovered the strain, but the prejudice and suspicion leveled against them were always there. 

The Imperium's dogma on psykers however, was ironclad with no exceptions; whether they be human or otherwise, save for the Emperor, his sons and the few cooperative Aeldari craftworlds. 

Emperor only knew what would happen to Rory. 

The strange collection of locals may have given the detachment more than a few headaches, but bonds had nonetheless been born for their shared experiences. Minerva, despite her apprehension at confronting one of the Emperor's chosen, let alone a whole squad, sought to give voice to these misgivings. She stepped up and asked. 

Minerva Antioch: My Lord, it is not my place to question the esteemed Primarch's intentions, but may I inquire as to what is to become of the...special natives of this world? 

The Marshal-Sergeant snapped to face her as he spoke ominously. 

Solar Warden Marshal-Sergeant: Their fate does not concern you Lieutenant, the Primarch has a new mission for your unit and you are to meet your colonel at your regimental headquarters for further debriefing. 

Minerva gulped nervously before saluting the Space Marine and forcing out a "Yes Sir". 

The Solar Warden turned back to the five unique locals and commanded. 

 Solar Warden Marshal-Sergeant: Follow me, the Primarch wishes to speak with you all. 

The group looked at one another apprehensively for a moment before Lelei spoke up. 

Lelei: Let's do as he says, they haven't shown any malice towards us yet, only caution. Their Lord can't be that bad. 

Rory nodded at Lelei's assessment and so the Elves and Master Cota acquiesced as well. The five were then escorted peacefully by the heavily armed and armored party. 

________________________________________________________

Minerva watched solemnly as the procession left, muttering under her breath "Emperor protect you all". 

Returning to face her detachment, she ordered. 

Minerva Antioch: Alright everyone, listen up! I'm going to meet with the Colonel to find out what our new mission is. You all head to the depot to get resupplied and refueled!

A chorus of "Yes Ma'am" was her reply as the recon unit went to perform their duties, trying to take their minds off of what might happen to their comrades. Sergeant Felix however, approached her commanding officer and questioned. 

Sergeant Felix: Ma'am, what do you think is gonna happen to them? 

Turning away, Minerva stared off into the hustle of the base for a moment before replying softly. 

Minerva Antioch: I don't know Felix...I don't know.

______________________________________________________

Minerva made her way toward the 31st's regimental HQ building where Colonel Faustus and his command staff coordinated the activities of the Cthonian Wolves. 

She passed the regimental barracks complex where she greeted some other members of the regiment. A few asked about what she'd experienced outside the compound, but she declined to give any details, citing that she needed to receive new orders from the Colonel. 

After a quick security check at the entrance of the HQ, she made her way to the Colonel's office. Knocking on the door of the room, he heard a bored, "come in" before she entered. 

The young officer saw the old veteran sitting at his desk, writing a report with an autoquil clutched in his bionic arm. Minerva saluted her commanding officer and reported. 

Minerva: Second-Lieutenant Minerva Antioch of the Third Reconnaissance Detachment reporting for duty and redeployment, Sir! 

Colonel Faustus lowered his autoquil and raised himself up to return the salute of the junior officer. He then lowered his saluting arm and ordered. 

Colonel Faustus: At ease Minerva, let's speak frankly here. 

Minerva nodded and sat down on the chair opposite from the Colonel's at his desk. Colonel Faustus lowered himself back down onto his own seat, a small warm smile spreading on his face as he looked at the younger sibling of the man he'd admired. 

Colonel Faustus: It's good to see you alive and in one-piece lass, now let's get down to business... and I'll say this Lieutenant, shits just hit the fan.  

Comments would be appreciated 

Author's note: I would like to know all your thoughts on this story so far as it is the first I have ever written, thank you all for enjoying this tale.