Part 6 A Father's Concern

Count Formal shuddered as he recalled all that'd happened a week ago, to him though, he relived those horrid events every night in his nightmares. 

In the time that he'd been held prisoner by these Terrans as they called themselves, they also called themselves Imperials, but that would be too confusing if he referred to them that way, he'd been treated without too much deprivation or cruelty. 

He'd been singled out as a high-ranking individual due to his quality attire and items signifying nobility upon his personage. Subsequently, he was thereafter separated from the rank-and-file soldiery and given his own cell.

It was surprisingly clean and comfortable, (Comfortable by the standards of the classical age, imagine a college dormitory as his cell, but with security features added) all things considered, he'd expected far worse. 

He was given simple yet filling meals (Think of American school lunches) and as long as he complied with his captivators and answered their questions honestly, no pain was inflicted upon him. 

Strangely, when he was interrogated by the black armored men- and at times, even women to his surprise- whom he'd learned were this "Imperium's" primary law enforcement body, a figure would always stand close to his side. The people who did this were, without exception, blind and held long staffs that they leaned on for support.

When he had a moment of confidence, he decided to ask, very politely and in as non-hostile a manner as he could, who these people were and what purpose they were here for. The woman who was questioning him at the time glared at him in clear annoyance, but replied coldly, "That is a psyker, they're here to notify us if you are lying".

This shocked him greatly as it meant every single one of the figures who'd stood at his side during the interrogations had been a mage and apparently ones powerful enough to read his mind.

This disturbed him as one, it meant no matter what he did, these Terrans could get whatever information they wanted from him whether he complied with them or not, not that he ever had any intentions of resisting, and two. That the state here had such an abundance of resources that they could use mages for law enforcement. 

In the Empire, that was completely unthinkable, mages powerful enough to read one's mind, mostly came from the city of Rondal who saw themselves as completely beneath such menial tasks. Even relatively weak mages rarely aided in matters of the law unless they were a member of an adventurer or mercenary party and paid a hefty sum.

Count Formal believed he was beginning to understand just how wealthy and powerful this "Imperium" was, especially if their city guards possessed equipment that would make a Saderan knight sick with envy. He was glad that he'd made the wise choice of not bringing anyone close to him on the expedition. 

If any of his family had died on this side of the Gate because he selfishly wished to have company, then he'd never be able to forgive himself, but it was that thought of family that caused him to be in his nervous state at this moment. 

Count Formal had three children, all of whom were daughters, two of them were grown up and had married off, therefore, there was no need for him to worry for their safety. However, his youngest daughter, Myui, was not even eleven and if the Empire presumed him to be dead, then she would be made head of the Formal clan and hold responsibility over the governance of one of the Empire's busiest trade hubs.

The thought of his precious little daughter, alone and orphaned with so much pressure upon her shoulders, almost caused him to fall into despair. He calmed himself down though, he had to think rationally if he was to be of any aid to his child. He, as well as his ancestors, had not made Italica into the prosperous city it was now by falling into depression.

As the Count was collecting himself though, the door to his cell was suddenly opened. This in itself was not surprising as it had happened innumerable times when he'd been extensively questioned. No, what was surprising this time, was the colossus of a man outside the entrance which dwarfed even the giant warriors he'd seen when the expedition had been defeated. 

The man was so large that he could not enter his cell, so two "Arbiters" came in and grabbed him. Formal was of course, fearful of the colossus and was reluctant to be anywhere near him, his resistance though was ignored by the Arbiters who simply dragged him out by his arms. 

When they passed the doorway, the nobleman was unceremoniously dropped at the feet of the virtual wall of flesh and bone that was the man who had conquered the then-blasted hellscape that was Terra during the wars of unification for his master, the man who had decapitated too many tyrants and despots to even count, the bearer of the Lighting and Raptor Imperialis. 

Arik Taranis: Greetings Count Formal of Italica, I would like a word with you. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arik Taranis had arrived at the Arbites Headquarters on Terra a few hours before, right after he'd finished his conversation with Malcador. 

Deciding that he would require as much intelligence as possible to lead the forces of the Imperium against the stars only knew what potential threats lay beyond the other side of the Gate, he swiftly set out for the only place where any people who possessed any knowledge of whatever might be expected there could be found. 

Accessing the Arbites archives was of no trouble to him given his security clearance and his status as a primarch, even as an obscure one. 

Looking through the knowledge gleaned from the prisoners and all the information on them, his superhuman mind easily memorizing entire data stacks worth of material as fast as his eyes could look over the whole cogitator screen, he stumbled upon an interesting individual. 

A Count Formal, which according to the data file on him, was the leader of an important regional trade city and head of a clan of some importance. What truly caught his attention though, was not who the man was but his character. 

The file described him as an honest person who'd not once been found speaking falsely during his interrogation. This, however, did not seem to be due to cowardice, as the highborn man had remained calm and collected throughout his questioning, even asking a few of his own.

He was also quite idealistic, speaking sincerely on his views that all people should unite against the problems of the world instead of bickering and fighting over them. The noble even went so far as to speak of the abhorrent treatment of what he called demi-humans, what the Officio Medicae and Magos Biologians had deduced to be abhumans based on the descriptions gathered, and slaves. 

The person was also a patron of the arts and had an appreciation for philosophy. While he did believe in the gods of the pantheon the Saderans, as they called themselves, worshiped, he did not let this sway his reasoning and logic. 

Overall, the nobleman would have made a good remembrancer or iterator if he'd been born in the Imperium and been convinced to abandon his faith. This made him a very useful person if they could convince him to collaborate with the Imperium and sway his loyalty. Something made likely by the fact that he did not seem to be fond of this Empire of which his lands were a part. 

So, Arik Taranis decided to judge the man himself and speak to him face to face. The Lightning Bearer was many things, but subtle was not one of them. 

Comments would be appreciated