Part 19 What is Happening?

Minerva was more than a little puzzled by Hodor's request and expressed her confusion. 

Minerva Antioch: I'm afraid I don't understand why you'd want to do something like that, Mr. Marceau, is there any particular reason why you wish to accompany us?

Hodor explained his motives to the woman. 

Hodor Marceau: I will be frank, Miss Antioch, I am curious as to how your people conduct themselves and wish to gain a greater understanding of those from beyond the Gate. I may also be of use to you as my people possess amicable relations with the village you seek and can lend credence to your words. 

Minerva mulled over the Elve's words and eventually relented to his request, his reasoning made sense and having some local guides would be useful. Two Elves were hardly a burden for the Chimera and it wouldn't hurt to bring them along to smooth over discussions with the locals. 

It was against regulations of course, but Cthonians never had much respect for rules unless there was a Discipline Master to enforce them right in front of their faces. 

Minerva Antioch: Alright, we'll take you and your daughter with us.  

—————————————————————————

The Dracosan and Testudo along with the Solar Auxilia and abhumans had left with the Elves.

The forest dwellers put up surprisingly little resistance from having to leave their ancestral homes, well most of them had lost everything so Minerva supposed it wasn't too much of a surprise, she mused. 

Now it was just the Chimera, her squad of Cthonians, the pair of Night Lords, that pesky remembrancer who incessantly insisted on continuing to accompany the detachment into increasingly dangerous enemy territory and the two Elves. 

Sergeant Felix and Minerva were talking with each other again next to the Chimera.

Sergeant Juno Felix: Uh, Lieutenant, I just got off of the vox with command and they're not happy with our shenanigans, the Discipline Master Captain kept barking about how he would have all of us at the end of a firing squad if we didn't get back with the rest of the recon force. 

Sighing, Minerva replied. 

Minerva Antioch: Then tell Command we have yet to reach our original objective and that until we complete this mission- we aren't returning. Also, vox the Dracosan and Testudo to stop just short of the base in case command decides to detain them and have them link up with us once they're done escorting the refugees. 

Suddenly, Minerva heard and felt powerful footsteps coming from behind her. Turning around, she saw the Night Lord who'd been talking to Hodor's daughter right in front of her. 

Minerva Antioch: M-My Lord! 

Both Sergeant Felix and Minerva immediately snapped their best salutes. 

Night Lord: At ease auxiliaries.

At the Space Marine's words, the two soldiers lowered their salutes and relaxed their postures as best they could in the presence of a transhuman warrior. The Astartes looked to Minerva and spoke. 

Night Lord: You have a strong sense of justice, mortal, that is something I can respect. 

Momentarily stunned at being complimented by a Space Marine, Minerva stuttered. 

Minerva Antioch: Th-Thank you, My Lord, I was simply doing what I thought was right. 

The Night Lord chuckled and responded. 

Night Lord: You would have made a good Night Lord had you been born a boy, Lieutenant. 

Minerva Antioch: I-I always preferred the Lunar Templars, My Lord. 

Minerva's eyes widened as she realized that what she'd just said could have been taken as an insult to the Eighth Legion. Her panic was cut short though as the Night Lord continued. 

Night Lord: Ah right, you are from Cthonia, correct Lieutenant?

Minerva Antioch: That's right, My Lord, my squad and I are from the 31st Cthonian Wolves. 

Nodding, the Night Lord spoke again. 

Night Lord: Then I look forward to seeing how your unit continues to conduct itself, Lieutenant. 

With that, the Marine walked away to join his brother and they began discussing among themselves.

Speechless for a minute, Minerva asked. 

Minerva Antioch: Sergeant, what just happened? 

Sergeant Juno Felix: Ma'am, I think an Angel of Death just complimented you.  

At the Imperial Base Under Construction

Arik's equerry approached his commander and handed him a data-slate, clarifying to his gene-father. 

Ghota: Sir, the Discipline Master Captain has submitted a report that he believes requires your attention. 

After reading the report, Arik raised his eyebrows in surprise, which was becoming ever more frequent recently.

Arik Taranis: Reconnaissance Detachment-3 encountered a xenos lifeform bearing an uncanny resemblance to a mythical creature from ancient Terran lore? Rescuing an uncharted village of a suspected new abhuman strain with physical similarities to Eldar? Now refugees being escorted by a part of the detachment back to base? A lone Chimera with a single squad of auxiliaries, two Night Lords and a single remembrancer going rogue to save another small insignificant village against orders? This all happened in the past few hours? 

The Lightning Bearer, for what may be the first time in his life, had a truly astonished look on his face. It was probably the strangest situation report he'd ever laid eyes on.

Nodding, Ghota confirmed. 

Ghota: Yes Sir, the Army Colonels and Discipline Masters are requesting orders as to how to handle this. 

Arik was perplexed at how this world could be so unusual and how unprecedented occurrences seemed to be the order of the day now for him. Finally, he groaned and ordered. 

Arik Taranis: Order that the refugees are to be accepted and given appropriate treatment and accommodations when the commanding officer of the reconnaissance detachment returns, detain her for questioning. Have a squadron of Vendettas on standby should this "dragon" be spotted again. 

Ghota: Yes Sir, however, another matter requires your immediate attention. 

Arik Taranis let out a long sigh, although Primarchs did not tire like regular humans or even Astartes, that was not to say they did not appreciate good rest. So far since arriving upon this damned planet, he'd yet to take a single break as matters were continuously brought to him. 

Arik Taranis: What would that be Ghota? 

Arik spoke in a resigned voice. 

Ghota: Sir, the Mechanicum representative wishes to speak to you privately. 

The undefeated general groaned once more, realizing that his day would not be getting any more comfortable.

Comments would be appreciated.