Part 15 It All Begins

As expected by Minerva, she did not like this at all.

Minerva Antioch: Sir, I'm honored that you thought of me for this mission, but I request another officer be placed in command of the detachment instead.

The Colonel raised his eyebrows at the lieutenant's request and asked.

Colonel Domitius Faustus: Why's that Lieutenant, I thought all you young junior officers would jump at the chance for some adventure.

Minerva Antioch: With all due respect sir, I can be of more use helping prepare the Regiment for combat than talking to some locals and taking pictures of the scenery.

Domitius sighed at her answer and looked her in the eyes before speaking.

Colonel Domitius Faustus: You want some real action, I get it Lieutenant, I was just like you when I first joined the Army and so was your brother.

Her eyes widened at the Colonel's last words.

Minerva Antioch: You knew my brother, sir?

The Colonel nodded and continued.

Colonel Domitius Faustus: I was a lieutenant myself then in another Cthonian regiment, your older brother was already a captain in the original 31st at the time. "He smiled at the memory" Your brother was always itching for battle and always on one of the first dropships down, but Lieutenant, he knew his duty was to the Emperor, the Imperium and to Mankind and even when he was given mundane tasks, he never shirked from his duty.

Silence fell over the scene for a moment, then the Colonel resumed speaking again.

Colonel Domitius Faustus: Tell you what Lieutenant, I'll let you think over it for the rest of the day, just give me your answer by next morning, if you don't show or refuse, I'll assign someone else.

"Yes sir", was all the reply Minerva gave before they saluted one another once more, and she left the tent.

Walking back to her tent, she sat down on her army "bed" and thought over what the Colonel said to her.

A little while later, her tent mate, another female second lieutenant named Caria Draven came in and sat down on her own bed as well. Seeing her thinking she asked.

Caria Draven: Hey Minerva, what's got you all quiet?

Looking at Caria, she replied.

Minerva Antioch: The Colonel wants me to lead one of the reconnaissance detachments being set up to explore this planet and make contact with any local civilians in the region.

Caria smiled and said enthusiastically.

Caria Draven: That's great you must be stoked!

Minerva just shook her head and looked down, once again lost in thought. Caria frowned and sighed, speaking again she said.

Caria Draven: Minerva, I know you wanted to get stuck in with the xenos and heretics, but there's more than one way of being a soldier, the Emperor certainly agrees or the Great Crusade would've never even started.

Minerva had an epiphany upon hearing Caria's words. She was right, there was more than one way of being a soldier, her brother had been rejected for service in the Legions, but he didn't let that bring him down. He found another way to serve, even if it wasn't as glorious or how he originally dreamed it to be, he still pushed forward. 

Standing up, she knew what she should do.

Minerva Antioch: Thanks Caria, I needed to hear that.