Chapter 10

The gentle rustling of leaves overhead and the distant hooting of owls greeted me as I slowly regained consciousness. My eyes fluttered open, and I found myself lying on a soft bed of moss under the moonlit canopy of the labyrinth's forest. Noah sat nearby, a watchful guardian in the tranquil night.

"Hey there," he greeted with a warm smile, his eyes reflecting the relief of seeing me awake.

I pushed myself up, wincing as the residual fatigue from the encounter with the forest ruler fairy still lingered. "How long was I out?"

"A couple of hours. It's late. You needed the rest." He replied.

Gratitude swelled within me as I realized that Noah had taken care of me while I was unconscious. "Thank you for saving me back there. I don't know what happened."

He waved off my thanks with a casual gesture. "No big deal. We're a team, right?"

The word "team" struck a chord within me, and I couldn't deny the sense of camaraderie that had developed between us in the short time we'd spent together. Despite my initial reservations, Noah had become an integral part of this labyrinthine journey.

"I guess we are," I admitted, a reluctant smile tugging at my lips.

Noah stood up, extending a hand to help me to my feet. "Come on. It's late, and we should find a place for you to rest."

I hesitated, realizing that my magic had been depleted during the battle. "I... I can't summon the arcane rope right now. I'm powerless. I can't even get up right now…"

Noah chuckled, his tone lighthearted. "No worries. I've got you covered."

With a playful twinkle in his eyes, he added, "Can I pick you up, or are you more of a walk-it-off type?"

The unexpected question caught me off guard, and I blushed, my gaze briefly dropping to the mossy ground. "I, uh, I guess you can."

Without waiting for further hesitation, Noah effortlessly scooped me up in his arms. The proximity felt comforting, and the warmth that emanated from him was oddly reassuring. Despite the unconventional circumstances, I found myself feeling surprisingly at ease in his grasp.

As we ventured deeper into the forest, the distant glow of lights hinted at the presence of a nearby village. Noah navigated with ease, his familiarity with the surroundings evident. Soon, we reached the outskirts of the village, where the flickering lights of a tavern beckoned.

"We can find a place to stay here," Noah suggested, his gaze meeting mine.

I nodded, the weariness in my limbs making the prospect of a bed more appealing than ever. "Sure."

Noah entered the tavern with a confidence that suggested he was no stranger to such places. The warmth and lively chatter enveloped us as we stepped inside. A friendly tavern keeper greeted us, offering a room for the night.

As we settled into our accommodation, the events of the day replayed in my mind. Despite the dangers of the labyrinth, a sense of adventure and discovery had woven itself into the fabric of my existence. Noah's presence had become a comforting constant amid the unpredictable magic and mythical creatures.

Lying in the dimly lit room, I found it hard to shake off the gratitude and, dare I say, a growing fondness for Noah. His care and companionship had subtly etched itself into my journey, leaving me with a realization that went beyond mere camaraderie.

Yet, I dismissed the thought with a self-denying shake of my head. It was too early, too impractical to entertain such sentiments. Tomorrow, we would face another floor, another challenge. For now, the warmth of the tavern room embraced me, and the rhythmic sounds of the night lulled me into a restful sleep…

As the tavern room embraced me in its warm cocoon, a sudden pang of realization struck through the veil of fatigue. The memory of my uncle Aureus and the rest of my family flooded my mind, sending ripples of concern through my thoughts. The image of their faces, the echoes of their voices, it all rushed back, and I found myself caught in a wave of apprehension.

In the soft glow of the dimly lit room, Noah observed the sudden change in my expression. "Something on your mind?" he inquired, his eyes reflecting genuine concern.

I bit my lip, hesitating before admitting, "My family. I left without telling them. If they find out I'm in this labyrinth... it's going to cause a big havoc. I could be punished."

Noah regarded me thoughtfully, his gaze unwavering. "What do you want to do about it?"

An air of helplessness settled over me as I weighed the options. "I should go back. I don't want to get punished. But... I'm scared of the consequences when I return."

He nodded, understanding the weight of the situation. "You need rest, Amaryllis. Going back now won't change anything, and it might even put you in more danger. You will be punished for your prolonged absence anyways so it's better you go and deal with that with proper energy."

The logic in his words resonated with me, and yet, the worry gnawed at the edges of my consciousness. "But…"

Noah reached out, placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder. He cut my words saying, "Look, you're not alone in this. We'll figure it out together. Right now, what you need is rest. Tomorrow is a new day, and we'll face whatever comes our way."

I sighed, acknowledging the truth in his words. "You're right. I just... I can't shake off this feeling of doing something wrong."

I bit my lip, realizing the magnitude of the situation. My impulsive decision to sneak out and explore the labyrinth had the potential to disrupt the delicate balance that held our family together. I was well aware of the repercussions – the consequences of such a breach of protocol were severe.

Images of Uncle’s stern face and the stern lectures on duty and responsibility flooded my mind. Would he be disappointed? Angry? Worried sick about my safety? The uncertainty gnawed at me, amplifying the shadows that danced on the walls of the room.

For a moment, I considered the possibility of returning immediately, abandoning this fantastical journey in favor of the comfort and familiarity of my family. However, the allure of the labyrinth and the thrill of discovery held me captive. The conflicting emotions wrestled within me, a silent battle waged in the stillness of the night.

His gaze softened, and he offered a reassuring smile. "I get it, Amy. But trust me, you won't be helping anyone if you're running on empty. Sleep now, gain your strength, and we'll tackle whatever challenges come our way."

The weariness in my bones seemed to echo his advice, and reluctantly, I agreed. "Okay. Tomorrow, we face it together."

Noah nodded, his expression determined. "Together."

As I settled into the comfort of the bed, the rhythmic sounds of the night became a lullaby, easing my concerns into the background. The promise of a new day hung in the air, and as sleep gradually claimed me, I found solace in the notion that, perhaps, the answers and solutions would reveal themselves in the light of dawn.