Chapter 4

The cat creature let out a low growl, its eyes fixed on me. I took a deep breath, summoning my magic. I couldn't rely on major powers, but I had learned to adapt with what I had. My mind raced as I considered my options.

The creature lunged at me with surprising speed. I dodged to the side, narrowly avoiding its claws. It was smaller than I expected, but its agility was impressive. I needed to outsmart it.

I focused on creating an illusion, hoping to confuse the creature. Another identical Amy appeared beside me. The cat monster hesitated for a moment, unsure of which target to pursue. It pounced towards the illusion, allowing me to strike from the side.

I summoned a small burst of magic, creating a dazzling light to disorient the creature. It hissed, momentarily blinded. Seizing the opportunity, I conjured a makeshift staff. It wasn't a powerful weapon, but it would have to do.

I swung the staff, aiming for the creature's side. It yowled in pain, recoiling. The boy observed the skirmish with an intrigued expression, his veil unable to conceal the amusement in his eyes.

The cat monster, however, was not backing down. It circled me, eyes narrowed, assessing its opponent. I could feel the strain in my magic; I couldn't keep this up for long. I needed a plan, and fast.

Suddenly, an idea struck me. I conjured an illusion of a second barrier around myself. The creature hesitated, unsure of how to proceed. This was my chance.

I dashed towards it, staff raised. With a swift motion, I struck its flank. The creature yowled in pain and frustration. The illusion of the second barrier disappeared, revealing the ruse.

The boy applauded, a genuine smile breaking through his mysterious exterior. "Impressive, Amy. You've got quite the knack for improvisation."

I caught my breath, a mixture of exhaustion and adrenaline coursing through me. "Thanks. It's not about power; it's about using what you have wisely."

He nodded, a newfound respect gleaming in his eyes. "You're right. It's not always about brute strength. Magic is as much about strategy as it is about power."

The cat monster, having had enough, vanished into thin air. I sighed in relief, letting the tension drain from my shoulders. The boy approached, the barrier around him dissipating.

"Well fought," he commended, offering a gloved hand.

I shook it, a small smile forming on my lips. "Likewise. I didn't expect today to involve magic and monster fights."

"Life is full of surprises," he remarked, a playful glint in his eyes.

"By the way, you never told me your name."

"Call me Noah," he said, a mysterious aura surrounding him. "Let's make a deal, Amy. I'll keep your secret, and you keep mine. We're acquaintances bound by curiosity."

I hesitated, considering the offer. There was something intriguing about Noah, an enigma wrapped in a veil. But curiosity danced in his eyes, mirroring my own desire for the unknown.

"Agreed," I said, sealing our newfound acquaintance.

Noah grinned, the veil hiding the details of his expression. "Meet me here tomorrow, same time. We'll explore another floor together. Deal?"

I nodded, a surge of excitement coursing through me. "Deal. But why tomorrow?"

“Well, I don't know about you, but I snuck out today. If my father finds out about this, he will definitely turn the whole empire upside down to find me.”

His words echoed my own concerns. “Saying he will destroy the empire is an overkill. However, you'll definitely be in trouble if he finds out, so you should go. We’ll reconvene on this floor tomorrow.”