CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: Mays Gonna Kill Me

The next morning, Peter woke up to his alarm going off from his dresser by the door, he huffed quietly and forced himself up from his bed, trudging groggily over to his dresser where he turned off the beeping machine. It was now six a.m, he need to get to school in an hour and half, meaning he had about an hour to get ready. He could hear May bustling around in the kitchen, the sounds of coffee cups and plates clinking against each other. He grinned a bit to himself as he pulled his usual t-shirt and faded jeans out of the dresser in front of him and tossed them to his bed as he started digging for a pair of socks, aiming to find a matching set in his surprisingly messily organized drawer. He cheered triumphantly to himself and placed them on the bed as well. Ten minutes later, he was fully dressed as he pulled his socks on before putting on his usual dirty converse and his dark blue sweater, he opened his door, walking across the hall towards the bathroom; he could hear his aunt attempting to wake his new little sister for the morning. He grinned a little at her small grain of why she was being woken up already as he wet his comb and started to comb back his unruly locks. When he walked out of the room, he saw that May had Addie sitting in a booster seat at one of the tal hairs at the kitchen island. He slipped into the seat next to the four year old and kissed the top of her head before he greeted both of the women in his life.

"Good Mornin' jelly bean, Good morning May." he greeted brightly.

The auburn-haired preschooler grinning at him, 'Monin' Petur," she greeted

His aunt smiled lovingly at him before placing a large plate stacked with toaster waffles in front of him, "Good morning tough guy," she greeted. She leaned forward and gently patted his cheek, he was glad that she didn't tousle his hair like she usually did, he actually tried to style it today, "Did you sleep well baby?" she asked.

He nodded and stuck a forkful of waffles and strawberries into his mouth, "Uh huh," he replied, nodding his head in response as he swallowed it, "Did you sleep well? I heard you 'n Happy talking for hours last night.

The dark-haired woman nodded, "Yes I did, we were talking about how he had to get up early for an early morning meeting this morning. He left at five."

The teenager nodded "Oh...did he even get breakfast?"

She laughed a little, "Don't worry I made him some toast and coffee, the only things I seem to be able to make well."

He swallowed a forkful of diced strawberries, "And toaster waffles," he replied, his words muffled by the food in his mouth, "That's good you made breakfast for him," he took note of her butterfly scrubs, "Are you working on the floor today May?"

The woman took a sip of her coffee and leaned over towards Addie, helping the preschooler wipe her hands with a paper towel, "Yes...Marisol had her baby this morning and Eliza and Katherine are out with the flu so I offered to help in the emergency room today."

He nodded and stood up from his seat, making sure he kept a watch on the time so he wouldn't be late to school again, he placed his dirty plate in the sink and rinsed it off with warm water before looking up at his aunt, "What time will you be home?" he asked, knowing from experience that the emergency room shifts often went longer than her usual ones.

"I'll be home at around seven-thirty," she replied, "Are you okay with that?"

He nodded "Yes ma'am, I have my internship tonight till eight o'clock, what about Addie?" he asked, motioning to the four-year-old who was now loudly slurping on her juice box in an effort to get the last bit out that was left.

She walked around the corner and held her hand out to the preschooler, "I think it's finished sweetie," she replied.

The green-eyed toddler giggled and handed the forty-seven year old the empty box, "Otay May," she replied.