Mixed Cockapoo

Summer Pups

Chapter 24:

[Mixed Cockapoo]

Tuesday June 30, 2020

7:20 pm

[Rocky's POV]

I was sitting at the kitchen table, eating the new box of pizza that Zuma's parents ordered for us for dinner. Last night, they ordered us Dominos. This time, they got it from Pizza Hut which personally, I think is better. I was on my phone, watching random videos while talking to Liberty at the same time. Now I know I'm the weirdest pup in the group since I've been glued to my phone for most of the trip. I know it's not right, but I can't help it. I looked up from my phone. Skye was sitting across from me, eating pizza as well. I chuckled to myself, realizing that Skye and I were more alike than I thought. Well, she's a bit better than me. At least she can limit her screen time. She was also watching random videos on her phone. The reason why I knew that was because she always keeps her phone on loud volume. It could get annoying sometimes, but I wasn't going to be the pup to tell her that. Better it be Marshall than anyone else since he would be the last animal she would maul.

We were the only two at the table. Everyone else was outside eating next to the campfire. It was awkward for us because we haven't really interacted in a while. She told me that we could take small steps at a time for our friendship to get back on track. I know it sounds like I'm waiting for her to say something to me first, but I promise it's not like that at all. I genuinely want to rebuild our friendship and I'm willing to put in the effort. It's just that I don't want to overwhelm her or make her uncomfortable by pushing too hard. It's been nerve-wracking for me to talk to her since everyone knew that I was in love with her.

After a while, I finished my pizza. I threw my plastic plate in the garbage, grabbed my phone from the table, and went over to the couch in the living room that didn't have a TV in it. For some reason, I liked this area more than everywhere else in the house. It just makes me feel somehow safe. Liberty hasn't texted me back, so I just decided to rest on the couch and listen to some music. I laid down, and before I put my headphones on, I heard Skye say something.

Skye: "You're not coming outside?"

I sat up. She was about to open the backdoor to go outside, but she was asking me a question. The thought of going outside and joining Skye crossed my mind, but the comfort and sense of security I felt on the couch made me hesitate. I just shrugged and laid back down.

Rocky: "Nah. Imma just hang out in here."

Skye: "Okay.."

It was quiet afterwards. I thought she had left outside, but I didn't hear the door open. I thought she had gone back into the kitchen to grab an extra pizza slice, but I didn't hear her walk back there either. I assumed that she was just occupied with her phone again. I was going to put my headphones back on until I heard her say something else to me.