Ijeawele sighed, loud with irritation as she leaned away from the table. She thrust her head back and stared at the ceiling. Slowly, she began to swivel her chair between a short distance from left to right. Ijeawele could feel the anxiety build up inside her. Her sense of reasoning was screaming at her to ignore any thought of him and yet, here she was, seriously debating on whether to meet up with him.

Ijeawele was amazed that Andrew was able to shake her in such a way. It was clear that he had some kind of effect over her. She neither wanted to accept nor let it happen. Then, she decided to play the assumption game. Let's assume she does go out to meet Andrew, was she ready for whatever next that would play out.

More than anything, Ijeawele really feared being in that head space again. That head space of her being happy, hopeful and trusting.

She'd developed a detest for it.

The last time she really felt that way, she ended up looking like an idiot.

Now, she couldn't bring herself to venture down that path again. After all, there was no telling that things would turn out differently this time.

Ijeawele softly bit her lower lip while she shut her eyes.

* * *

For the third time, Andrew looked at his wristwatch then looked in the direction Ijeawele was supposed to come through. Yet, there was no sign of her and it was twenty minutes past the agreed time.

Maybe she's not coming. A voice in his head stated. But Andrew didn't want to believe or accept it. He was aware that there could be some hesitation from her. But, also, he felt a strong connection with her and believed she wanted something to happen with them just as much as he wanted it. Unlike his usual self, he decided to be more direct and ended up cornering her the way he did. Now, he wondered if he did too much. Could he possibly have scared her away?

Again, he looked at his wristwatch. Five minutes past six. His legs had started to ache from standing. He took a few steps to the side and back in order to feel better.

Maybe she doesn't like you that way. Another voice of reason dictated to him. This time, he wasn't assertive enough to chase away the thought. Gradually, he began to wonder if he'd always been alone in this. Perhaps what he saw as a connection between them was simply him justifying his silly possible infatuation with her. She could've seen through him and wanted no part of it.

Andrew ran a hand over his face, hating the fact that he was overthinking. Throwing theories here and there. No matter how cold she sometimes seemed to appear, he knew she wasn't like that.

He felt the vibration from his ringing phone and reached into his bag for it.

Little bro was the name written on the screen. A light frown appeared between his brows while he wondered why someone who hadn't called him since he left home was now calling him.

Andrew slid to answer and held the phone close to his ear.

"Are you home?" His younger brother's voice came through. A dash of authority and sass. Andrew had learned to ignore it. His upbringing towards him was the issue.

"Ichechi, why are you calling?"

Andrew heard him sigh on the other side of the line.

"I'm in front of your apartment building."

Andrew lazily rolled his eyes. "I'm not in the mood for one of your games. Bye."

"Wait! Wait, I'm serious." Ichechi was quick to speak up before Andrew could cut the call.