Part 9 - A Dangerous Man

Začať od začiatku

It was obvious that he'd long since forgiven his brother or was desperately trying to, so I didn't argue.

Brandon smirked, "That's settled, then. Go shift."

The last two words were directed at the five of us, which my wolf didn't like at all. I was about to challenge him about it, but Rhys, sensing my intention, nudged me towards the entrance. Instead of trotting away like a good little soldier, I did exactly what I'd been raised to do and lifted my tail, put my ears back and walked over to Rhodric's side.

He smiled in approval and rubbed the skin behind my ears, while I stared defiantly at Brandon. Fion, however, had a very submissive wolf. So no matter how little she liked it, she was bullied into leaving with Leo and Callum. Rhys was trying to avoid picking a side by lingering in the shadows of the eaves.

Rhodric then raised his voice so that the whole courtyard could hear him. "We need to set up camp. Split into three groups — and for Goddess' sake, let's get this done before nightfall. Skye will lead the tent building effort. Kindly take any queries and problems to her."

Everyone moved to help, with the notable exception of Brandon.

"What about me?" he demanded. "What am I in charge of?"

"You can help set up tents," Rhodric answered with a hint of sly amusement.

"Will you at least let me teach that bitch a lesson first?" Brandon asked. He was looking at me with something close to disgust, and I was returning it with interest.

"Her name is Skye, and there'll be no need for that," Rhodric replied icily. "If you want to command, learn how to obey."

"I don't take orders from females."

Rhodric's hand sensibly closed around my scruff, successfully stopping me from ripping out that sexist bastard's throat there and then. Brandon growled at me for what seemed like the hundredth time. To Rhys's credit, he then finally made his stand. And he chose Rhodric and me. Brandon's eyes narrowed at the sight of his brother's defection.

"Skye, I suggest you ignore my son," Rhodric said loudly. "It must be his time of the month."

He stared at Brandon, daring him to argue. But the young man just lowered his head to hide his scowl. Even the puffed-up douchebag knew he couldn't win that fight.

Rhodric grinned. "Now if you're done acting like a toddler on steroids, get moving. Those tents aren't going to build themselves."

As I was about to leave with the others, Rhodric leant down to whisper, "Tread carefully, Skye. Brandon is a dangerous man, and you've just made an enemy out of him."

I gave him a lopsided stare; I didn't really believe it. The words didn't sink home because I was certain that Brandon wouldn't try anything. Not here, not in my home, not amongst people who had known me since I was a child. So I carried on with my business, and any worries faded from my mind.

First, I went into one of the crumbling rooms and shifted there. My duffel bag contained jeans and a burgundy fleece-hoodie. We got all our clothes second-hand because of a lack of money so there was never much choice in what you wore — they were all practical and warm. I never wore a dress in my life.

Then I led a group of three dozen rogues to a hillside beside the castle. The majority of us slept on the ground with only fabric to protect them from the elements, but the younger children and elderly had mattresses in the few intact rooms.

Brandon came with us, bringing five of his own men. I only knew Leo and Callum — the others were all strangers who hadn't set foot in camp for nearly ten years. I had no doubts he would use them to take command, despite his father's orders.