new scars, same war

Start from the beginning

The only response she gives is a sigh as she rests her head back onto your shoulder.

"..."

"I'm sorry. Everything's just really overwhelming."

"I know, Asa."

"..."

"Speaking of.. death, um.. this is gonna sound kinda.. weird, but, when Yoru was heading back to the apartment to get Chester, Mai was chasin' me down an alley, right?"

"..Uh huh..?"

"I heard a voice in my head. It kinda sounded like me, but.. not?"

"So, like, just your inner voice?"

"No, it wasn't a thought, it was a voice."

"What'd it say?"

"It said my name a few times, some shit about reality, and that my "D-Day was here" or something like that."

"..D-Day?"

"Yeah, then it told me to save it, and when I turned around, Mai was about to eat my heart."

"..Didn't you write a poem titled "Countdown to D-Day"..?"

"..Yeah."

She gets up and pulls you off the "bag" you've both been sitting on, beginning to untie it. "Hand me your heart real quick."

You pull your heart out and feel for her hand, giving it to her. She kisses it, and it immediately begins to glow, causing you to giggle a little bit. The glow lightens the alley enough for you to see. She goes through your stuff and grabs your notebook. "You said the poem was about a really long dream you had, right?"

"Well.. a reoccurring dream, yeah."

"Reoccurring? You still have it?"

"Y-Yeah, sometimes.. more than sometimes.."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Didn't wanna worry you."

She sighs and flips through the notebook until she finds it. "Can I read it?"

"Don't see why not.." You both sit down next to each other as she places your heart in her lap.

It reads:

"Through my heart's symphony, my will to protect you would flow,
Through my recklessness, forever blinded by my dream,
Through my fate, my reality will forcefully show,
Through my death, the light I yearned for would never be seen."

"..Was there a person in your dream?"

"Well.. uhh.. I mean, kinda.. in the dream, it'd always go like, me protecting someone, then I'd fuck up while protecting them, and I'd die. And I'd always think right before I'd go.. that.. I didn't get the love I wanted.. and then I'd wake up. I didn't wanna tell you cuz it's kinda weird.. and it sounds a bit concerning."

"..A bit? That voice you heard might've been your heart if it told you to save it, then you turn around, and, boom, your heart's in danger."

"..Oh."

"Meaning "D-Day", judging by this poem and your dream, means death day."

"..Oh.."

"Were.."

"..."

"W-Were you supposed to die today? Are you GONNA die today??" You hear her voice starting to crack as she speaks.

"I-I don't know.. I.. hope not..?"

She puts the notebook down and hugs you, clasping onto you. Her chest begins to subtly bump.