39: Enjoy The Ride

Mulai dari awal

"Well, Jennie had fun messing with me," I said, "but I didn't have any fun being messed with."

"Here we go again," Jennie sighed.

"Now, now. Jennie's teasing comes from a place of love," Chanyeol joked.
"Probably. I think."

"Why do you all doubt me so much?" Jennie pouted.

"She gets sulky sometimes when you tease her too much, and it makes me wonder whether there's love behind the jokes or not. You've got to know when to dial it back, you know? I'm sure Y/N will forgive you eventually, but you better figure out where the line is before you cross it."

"Yeah, sure, no problem. I know exactly where the line is."

"This girl annoys me," I muttered.

Jennie had never teased me to the point of crossing any lines or making me truly angry. Even if I pouted a little bit, I was never really offended, and she always stopped when I clapped back in irritation. She never complained when I gave her a particularly pointed retort either. She probably knew where the line was.

Jennie's talent for dancing around that line was impressive and a unique source of irritation in my life.

"Well now, I suppose Jennie has always been a little... irritating," Chanyeol admitted.

"How can you be so casually mean, Chanyeol? Who knew you were such a harsh critic?"

"I've recently decided that I can be a bit tough on you sometimes."

"You monster! I protest!"

"Ah-ha-ha!"

Chanyeol laughed it off as Jennie faked a pose of indignation. It was obvious that she wasn't actually upset. I felt satisfied to see Jennie on the receiving end of the jokes for once, on several levels.

I couldn't hate her, even at times like this, so I secretly had a wry smile.
"So let's just set Jennie aside for a moment..." Chanyeol said.

"Don't leave me out!" Jennie protested.

"We won't get anywhere with you jabbering on, Jennie, so be quiet for a minute. Now, Y/N, I'd also like to study together, the three of us. Want to have a study session on Saturday or Sunday?"

Jennie obediently shut her mouth tight like a certain cartoon rabbit, and Chanyeol turned away from her to ask me again, "How about it?"

I didn't have anything in particular planned for the weekend, and I figured that with Chanyeol there, it would probably be a normal study session, so I was inclined to agree, but then I hesitated.

I thought a study session sounded fine, but there was the question of where to hold it.

"...So where would we do it?"

"Ah, my place is out," Jennie responded. "My parents will be there, so I think it'll be awkward, or there might be an unpleasant atmosphere." Jennie's tone was casual, but I could tell that my friend was upset about the poor relationship she had with her parents.

"...My house would be fine, I guess, but my older sisters will probably get in our way a little, so I don't think it's well-suited for studying," Chanyeol said.

"You've got sisters?"

"Yeah, two of them. They're kind of loud, pushy people, so I think you would probably be uncomfortable."

I knew that Chanyeol was probably not downplaying it or anything, that his sisters really were those kinds of girls. If I had to guess, I got the feeling that they were the type I couldn't handle, so I thought it best to avoid Chanyeol's house if possible.