19: Hold me more

Word Count: 4,932

Spring vacation meant quite a lot of free time for those without any particularly involved hobbies. It wasn't that I had no interests, I just preferred activities like reading and taking long walks. On occasion, my blockmates made fun of me for being so dull.

But I wasn't interested in sports or outdoor games. Unless I had somewhere to be, my trips outside were for running or walking, or to go buy groceries, and that was about it. Jennie had always wondered why I didn't appreciate my youth more, but I figured I got enough exercise to stay healthy.

Rosé also didn't seem to go out much. Of course, I sometimes saw her exercising, and she often ventured outside to buy things she needed, but she didn't really go out specifically to do anything recreational.

"Don't you want to go somewhere for fun?"

When I asked Rosé about it one day after dinner, she looked troubled for a moment, then smiled and answered, "Go somewhere for fun...? Not right now, no. I'm kind of a homebody."

I wasn't one to talk, but I wondered whether it was healthy for a beautiful college girl to stay in all the time. "Well, I guess I'm the same way, huh? I don't really feel like going out anywhere, either."

"...What about going back to your parents' house?" Rosé asked.

"I saw them at New Year's, so I think I can take a pass. Plus, I'm supposed to be going home this summer, too. And it would suck to miss out on your fantastic cooking."

"...I-is that so?"

I had definitely grown accustomed to enjoying Rosé's cooking every day. Spending so much time together seemed normal now. I appreciated Rosé's kindness and her beauty, and I felt calmer just being around her.

"Not to mention, if I go home, they'll just drag me around all over the place, and that sounds exhausting."

"...Drag you around?"

"To resorts and shopping and stuff. If I don't have anything else to do, they take me wherever they want to go. Once when I was in high school, we even went to hot spring resorts and stuff."

My mother didn't really care whether we were spending time indoors or outdoors-she could get excited about nearly anything as long as she was spending time with family. Whenever I didn't have plans, she often tried to drag me with her somewhere. She was usually kind enough to let me choose where we went, but if I let her get away with it, she wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of me.

Amusement parks and shopping malls were charming enough, but my mother also enjoyed mountaineering and airsoft games, which were more intense. I had never understood how she contained so much energy in her petite frame.

Thanks to my mother, I had learned how to do all sorts of things and even stayed in decent shape, but it was obvious that my own preference for quiet hobbies was something of a reaction to my mother's riotous enthusiasm.

"...That sounds fun," Rosé said.

"When it's every single day, you get tired of it pretty quick. I'd rather not start off a new school year totally ragged after trying to keep up with her."

"I can imagine."

"You'd understand if you came with me. Then she'd focus all her energy on you instead."

"I s-suppose so..."

I was sure that my mother would be delighted to go out somewhere with Rosé. I didn't think she'd want to do anything too hardcore, but she would definitely take her around shopping and stuff.