"Leave," Calix unapologetically cut him off.

They all watched as both men left in haste, as if the devil was nipping at their heels.

Naomi, who stayed seated, tensed when she realized she was now alone with Calix. Gray eyes darted towards his figure before they left and went back again. She couldn't help it. Calix was undeniably more alluring up close, especially now that he was within touch. His presence near her made her awfully aware of him—his body heat was strangely magnetic, urging her to move closer to him.

She couldn't help but feel that his presence near her guaranteed her safety. It should be strange how a stranger could make her feel this protected, but then again, she didn't really question it considering he did save her a moment ago.

Then again, the last person who made her feel safe had been her husband.

"Thank you," Naomi said, her voice quiet.

His gaze snapped towards her.

She unknowingly held her breath when their eyes met and held.

Oh, god.

Her knees went weak, her heart ringing in her ears.

She could recognize those eyes anywhere. How couldn't she? Those eyes never failed to make her mouth dry and render her speechless.

It was those eyes she had stared into while making her vows at the altar. It was those eyes she had woken up to in the early dawn every day without fail. It was those eyes that had glared at her whenever her actions and decisions put her in danger. It was those eyes that had gazed at her with such tender fondness, silent adoration etched over the lines on his face.

This was her husband, Noah Callisto.

No, now, he was Calix Frost.

There was really no denying it anymore. He was really here, standing in front of her, wearing a different face and carrying a different name, but having the same eyes as before.

Never in her wildest dreams did she ever think she'd see him again. She never dared to hope. But he really was here—beautiful and within reach. As if their momentary separation had been a joke, as if her fears and regrets were childish whims.

She didn't know whether to thank the gods or to curse them.

He blinked at her, eyebrows twitching, confusion visible on his face before impassivity smoothed over the creases on his forehead. That blink gave Naomi the moment to remember she was hardly breathing and her lungs were burning with lack of air.

She inhaled quickly, averting her gaze from him, her cheeks flushed with heat.

"Are you alright?" Calix asked, a certain edge to his voice, but his shoulders—that were once stiff with tension—dropped in relaxation.

"I'm fine," Naomi hurriedly answered, clearing her throat and avoiding his stare, pretending that her very world hadn't been shaken to its core.

She wondered if he could recognize her the way she recognized him, but it didn't seem to be the case. Should she count that as a blessing, then, even though a large part of her was disappointed he didn't know her the way she did?

Calix suddenly released a heavy sigh. "Miss, if you see someone's about to slap you, don't just wait to be slapped. If push comes to shove, fight back."

Her lips twitched. She casted a sideways glance at his direction before quickly looking away elsewhere.

"What? Do you expect me to slap them back or to slap them before they could?"