Chapter One

"What in the name of Enoch?!" A shout rips through Atlas Rivera's ear drums. His eyes conveyed hurt with a touch of guilt. The eyes of fury is crystal clear in the peasant's slightly dirty face. It wasn't his fault, though. They were in a rush. They were late to pick up the bread delivery that his mother ordered. They didn't see the peasant walk by, or didn't pay much attention to where they were going.
"I'm so sorry, madam," Atlas says while clenching his hands, "I wasn't watching where—"
"Well, young sir, maybe you need to watch where you're going next time before you bump into someone carrying a bowl of hot stew!" Atlas did not realize that she was, indeed, carrying bowls of something but couldn't figure out what that stuff was. Stew? That was stew? He didn't question it. He doesn't want any trouble... again.

"Again, I heavily apologize upon my behalf. I was trying to get a loaf of bread for my mother. She ordered one, and—"
"Is that so?" Whatever this is going, he feels a sense of dread around the atmosphere that he doesn't like. At the same time, he feels the need to fiddle with their obsidian bracelet that their father made before he died of a terminal illness. He also feels a little anxious about being late for a delivery. Millions of emotions swirled on him.
"It's for the chacareros. I thought maybe I could try something other than soup for lunch, so my mind thought of sandwich, and my mother ordered it from her screen fridge. So, she's currently grabbing the vegetables and meat from the market and—" Wait. Why are you still here?! "I'm truly sorry, madam, but I have to go!" They run around the peasant and straight ahead for the bakery. They cannot be late again. The baker would cancel the order, otherwise.

They don't know why they are like this. For as long as they can remember, they always felt different from his village. Like they were more of a burden than a person. Atlas prefers familiarity and structure, has trouble with weird smells and large crowds, does things that appeal their interests, and difficulty with engaging people. At the same time, he also prefers novelty, loves talking to certain people, runs late for the pettiest of reasons, often feels like a new motor on the go, and adores trying new things. He isn't sure why, but that's who he is. Their mother doesn't mind nor does his father. In fact, they both don't believe that he's a burden at all. Quite the opposite.
Thankfully, Atlas wasn't late as soon as they went to the bakery. They were a few minutes early, according to the baker, so they had to wait longer than usual. The one thing they absolutely cannot stand is waiting for something. But... It won't take long, Atlas. Don't be rude! It wasn't his intention to be rude. They don't want people to think that they're rude. So, they said nothing and waited.