I slide myself into the passenger seat and toss my backpack in the back. Ahaan suddenly unbuckles himself and climbs out of the car.

"What's wrong?" I follow him with my eyes as he rounds around the front of the car and goes to my side, swinging the door open. He kneels down and starts to untie my shoes. I'm shocked, my feet flinching, but Ahaan pulls in back towards him and takes off my sodden sneakers.

"Jeez, Ishqi. Why did you let your feet get so wet? Don't you know what boots are for?"

"I don't have any."

"You live in a state with snow and you don't bother to invest in boots?" Ahaan sighs. He takes off my socks too.

"I can do it myself."

"You won't. Obviously since you've been walking in snow with cold feet."

"Thanks," I say sheepishly.

"You're welcome. Just don't let anyone take off your shoes but me," Ahaan jokes. At least think he was joking.

While he's still on the passenger side, he draws the seat belt and buckles me in. He stretches himself so his head reaches over my left shoulder, and I can see his back flex as he hovers over. I take in a sharp breath of air, and hold it until Ahaan stands up. He smiles, happy with his accomplishments and returns to the driver seat. Instead of driving me home, Ahaan takes a u-turn and goes the opposite direction.

"I thought you wanted to study for biology."

"We can do that tomorrow." While he's driving, I have no clue where we could be going. At first, I thought it was the usual stop by a fast-food chain for fries or for ice cream. However, he drives past them. Then, I thought we were running errands, like picking up his little sisters' tutu and his dad's suit from the dry cleaners. We pass that too.

"You looked like the talk of lunch today," I say.

"Yeah... I guess."

"Don't sound so indifferent. You got yourself a nice date for the Winter Formal."

"I would've rather gone with a friend."

"Oh yeah, I haven't seen you around your friends lately," I change the subject, realizing it was starting to pain me to think about the Winter Formal.

"Are you going?"

"Huh?"

"To the formal."

"Oh, me? No. I don't like that kind of stuff."

"Did-did... Did a guy ask you?" Ahaan stutters.

"Of course not!" I laugh. "No one would ask me."

"I would," Ahaan pipes up. I pause, my stomach fluttering. Quick, say something!

"Of course you would. You're my friend. But we should just stick to hanging out by eating."

I must've said something wrong, because Ahaan's face drops and he refocuses on the road. Finally, Ahaan stops in front of a movie theater.

"A movie on Monday?" I raise my eyebrow.

"I'm a rebel."

"I forgot my money at home."

"I have money."

"I'm not going to keep letting you pay for everything. i don't like leeching off of people."

"I'm not 'people'. I'm your best friend," he argues playfully.

"Who said you're my best friend?" I tease.

"I have a feeling."

I scoff and laugh at him. we leave our stuff in the car and head inside. I manage to cough up fifteen bucks after ransacking my backpack, so I pay for a large popcorn, two drinks, and two soft pretzels. I would've bought more, but that's all my fifteen dollars could manage. Even with that amount, I probably wont get through the movie trailers before the movie even starts.

There were limited showings since it was weekday. Surprisingly, the animated one was completely sold out since it just came out, along with the action one Ahaan wanted to see. That just left us with one we never heard of before, and two that had been advertising trailers we knew. Out of those two, one was a romance, and the other, a horror movie.

"Maybe we should go with the other one since you can't handle a horror movie," Ahaan suggest.

No, it would be too awkward-- two friends who have a slightly ambiguous relationship watching a romance together.

"Let's see the horror one."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, haunted houses are physical so it creeped me out, but a movie can't be that scary."

"Whatever you want," Ahaan agrees and buys two tickets.

The theater is already filled with a lot of people, since Ahaan and I came a little late. The movie preview was already starting to end. The middle section, as expected, was already filled out. Thrill seekers sat in the front for maximum immersion and fear. I pull Ahaan towards the back, relieved. If it wasn't for the fact most seats were already filled, I couldn't have made an excuse to hide my fear and regret of picking a horror movie.

I nervously munch on the popcorn as the movie starts. At first, its not bad, but I was still scared. The exposition mainly consisted of an eerie setting and some introduction of the characters and circumstances. However, Ahaan didn't pay much attention to it and entertained himself with my nervous facial expressions while he ate his pretzel. Then, bam! A jump scare. I flinch and some popcorn jump out of the container I'm holding. Ahaan can't contain his laughter as he clasps his hands over his mouth. The music turns up as the protagonist runs away from her pursuer. I panic and shield my face with the bucket of popcorn. There's some shuffling beside me, but I don't dare to look. My eyes are shut tight and I try to cancel out the screams and booming sounds.

Ahaan takes the bucket away from me and places it in between his thighs. I use my hands instead to shield my eyes. I feel Ahaan's hand over my head and he pulls me down to lean on his shoulders. My conscience tells me to pull away, to resist. Ishqi, he's going to the Winter Formal with Vamika. Isn't this cheating? Aren't you only his friend? A shriek from the theater speakers scares away my hesitation and I drive my face between the seat and the back of Ahaan's right shoulder. I'm in the back corner, so now one notices me squeamishly hiding.

Ahaan bend down, whispering in my ear, "We can leave if you want."

"No, you paid for these tickets. We shouldn't waste money."

"Fine, here just eat." Ahaan hand me my pretzel and I accept it. As I eat, I stiffen up everything there's a loud sound. Ahaan's hand clamps over my ear that's turned towards the movie screen.

I feel my ears and cheek burn up. At least its dark, so Ahaan can't see my glowing red face. I can't suppress the ambiguous feelings I'm experiencing. I can't control my emotions. I sit everyday in class, with a face of a dead fish as I take notes. I can fake interest as my friends shop for the pair of jeans. I can handle the boring dinner conversations between Ishita and my dad about the sports game. I can look past any disagreements with my friends. I can hide any feelings I don't want to show. But, with him, its different. I'm so confused. I don't know what to feel or how I feel. I can't do anything about how I feel. Ahaan Veer Malhotra, you're my weakness.

*****

END OF PART 16

Please comment your thoughts guys I really need your sweet words. Tell me what you want in the next upcoming parts. Tell me something you want me to change.

Next part at 15 votes and 30 comments