4

GLORIA 

I didn't even know his name. All I knew was that I didn't want to die. And the only way I could be sure not to trigger him into turning his gun on me was to do as he said. 

"What's your name?" I asked closing my eyes. I didn't want to look into his. 

"That's not important," he answered moving back away from me. 

"Stand up," he instructed. 

I was still very dizzy and struggled to get to my feet. He took my  hand and roughly pulled me up. I swayed a little, completely sure that I was going to pass out. 

He turned me around so that I had my back against him. 

"You're really beautiful, you know that?" he whispered against my neck. His words stirred up some strange emotion inside of me. Emotions that I had no business in feeling at this moment. 

"That's why I've been wanting you so badly." His hands, still cold, slid up my shirt feeling my stomach and up higher and higher until his finger tips were right under my bra. 

"Please just let me go," I said putting up a last fight even though I knew I was already losing. 

He murmured something I didn't quite hear that I think was "You're too pretty to lose my chance with" but I wasn't quite sure. His hands slipped under my bra and cupped my breast. He dragged his other hand down to my pants and began to pull it down all while humming in my ear and giving my neck and shoulders little kisses. 

I saw a movement in the corner of my eyes. I turned my head a bit and saw a figure at the window. Then it 

I gasped a little. 

The guy must have taken that positively because he chuckled and began nipping at my neck more and more getting closer to my cheek. 

In a matter of seconds, he had me laying back down again.

"Kiss me," he instructed. 

I don't know what possessed me but I closed my eyes lifted my head and did just that. He pushed his tongue into my mouth which I did not appreciate. I twisted my head around and tried to push me off.

I felt a sharp pain on my cheek. He had slapped me.

"Calm down, pretty girl. It'll be over soon."

From that moment everything happened so fast I could barely process it. The next minute I felt a heavy weight crushing down on me. I heard the sound of my door being opened and someone rushed to my side pushing the man off of me. It was Adam. 

I sat up and looked down at my hands there was blood splattered on them. I began to cry. Was I bleeding? I felt no pain, but I must be bleeding. 

It took several more seconds for me to begin piecing everything together. I looked over at the man laying face up. Blood was pooling out of his mouth and drizzling down his cheek to the floor. He was gasping and wheezing and sounded close to tears. There was a big red circle getting bigger and bigger on his shirt. 

I looked at Adam who was standing right there. There was a rage in his eyes that scared me more than seeing someone get shot. 

He suddenly turned around and marched into the kitchen. I was still incredibly confused. 

Adam came back holding a butcher knife.

"Adam," I said softly. 

"Please, don't."

He barely looked at me as he dropped to the floor beside the guy and said, "This is for her hurting her, you bastard."

With that he raised the knife then plunged it into the man's heart. I thought he would stop but he kept going. The sound of the squelching flesh every time he stabbed him sickened me. I felt bile rise up from my throat. 

I leaned over and threw up all over my white rug. I groaned from the pain of heaving. 

"Just stop, Adam. He's dead," I whispered. 

I looked back at him, his eyes terrified me completely. He had blood splattered all over his face and arms. Bits and pieces of flesh clung unto his shirt.

"Stop." I said. This time more firmly.

Abruptly he did, turning to look at me. At first he seemed angry at me, but the longer we stared at one another, the softer his eyes became. 

"Are you okay?" he asked reaching his hand out. 

I moved away before he could touch me.  "You killed him."

"To protect you."

"After you shot him, there was nothing he could have done to me. He was no longer a threat to either you or I. You murdered him in cold blood."

"Don't do this, Essence. Not right now." He stood up, towering over me. Appearing as the enemy.

"Where are your trash bags and sterilizing equipment?"

"In the kitchen."

A part of me wanted to check and see if the man was okay, but I could not bear to look his way. 

Adam came back with a box of trash bags, my dishwashing gloves, a box of first aid kit, and one of my even bigger butcher knives.

He set everything down on the floor in an orderly order. Popping open the aid kit, he took out a bottle of alcohol and a cloth.

My eyes widened. "What are you going to do with that?"

"Taking care of you what do you think?" he snapped.

I turned my head away so he couldn't see the ugly gash. "Leave me alone, Adam. Just clean up your mess and leave."

"Fine.  Have it your way." 

He got back up and started towards the kitchen again when he stopped dead in his tracks. He was looking outside of the window.

"What the fuck?" he hissed.

"What?"

"Did you call the police?"

"No. I didn't have the chance."

Even if I had, he did tell me to.

"Fuck." He grabbed his hair and groaned. "Fuck. What the fuck am I going to tell this fucking pig. No fucking way am I going back to prison. No fucking way."