"I am aware of that, but that doesn't understate the fact that you are my boss," she said firmly.

"I didn't approach you on the pretext of being your boss, Lara. I would rather you see me as a friend than as your boss. So, try not to cave in too much around me. It's somewhat disconcerting for me."

"I doubt it is." She twitched her eyebrows, sucking on her lip ring. "It's not plausible that a man like you would feel disconcerted about me."

"A man like me? You mind elaborating on that?"

"You have a reputation, Shane. A reputation I never want to get enmeshed in. I can guarantee to put in my very best in my service to you till my debt is utterly repaid, but..." She shook her head and heaved a sigh. "I really appreciate everything you've been doing for me, Shane."

"Lara. All I wish for is to be your friend."

"Your reputation precedes your wish, Shane. You should understand that I'm only interested in protecting myself. And yes, I'm guarded. I've always had to be, and that's what enabled me to survive over the years, to this far." Their gazes met and locked briefly, with Lara promptly breaking the contact.

She cleared her throat, shifting with unease in her seat.

"I'm sorry for all that you had to experience, Lara. I will try as much as I can to ensure you don't have to go through such a thing again," he promised, his words blending with the air as a soothing whisper.

"You are not obliged to play Prince Charming to the rescue for me, Shane." She shifted her head in objection.

A smirk tipped the corner of his mouth. "It's funny how you share an exact sense of humor with my friend."

She nodded cynically at his statement. "Mmn!"

"What do I have to do to gain your trust, Lara?"

She tsked. "I'm in your employ, Shane. Of course, you have my trust."

"Don't prevaricate the actual question, Lara. What do I have to do to make you accept me as your friend?"

She looked at him, her lips pressed into a fiat line.

"Ah! It's about my reputation again, isn't it?" He got his answer from the subtle flash in her eyes. "You will be amazed at how I've not been able to live up to that so-called reputation over the weeks."

She didn't look convinced.

He furrowed his brows. "Isn't it popularly quoted that 'you shouldn't judge a book by its cover'?"

"You are not a book. You are a legend, renowned."

Shane stifled a laugh. "You can't judge a man by his reputation, Lara."

Lara scoffed, rolling her eyes. "What else makes a man if not his reputation? One's reputation depicts one's image and absolute character."

"No, Lara. It doesn't. Reputations are temporary. In fact, they could be rumors. They don't define everything a man stands for."

"Really?" rolled off her tongue dryly. "Enlighten me then."

"Of course. Human beings are fickle beings. We are erratic. We change with the seasons, or..." He sucked in air softly through his teeth, maneuvering the car to the side of the road and swerving into her neighborhood.

"Let me say, as time passes, we grow out of habits and inculcate new patterns of behavior on the go. Every day, there is a change. It's either getting better or worse than before in terms of our lifestyle. So, no reputation lasts for a lifetime, and it can't be the criteria for judging the absolute character of a man or a woman."

The Playboy's Crush By Deborah A. OlaleyeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara