***

The young people heard someone at the door. They stood and waited as the com-lock was deactivated. A nervous Renro entered followed by two older men, one of whom was an imposing figure – obviously the leader. Carlin was a large man with dark-toned skin and medium-blue dermal markings. His piercing light gray eyes were sharp and quick. He was the kind of person you would not want to try to deceive.

Accompanying them were four hefty individuals who, they guessed, were brought along to keep the peace. The two groups faced each other across the laboratory for a few seconds in silence before Renro attempted an introduction. "Orion, Fel, Jenna, Celli," said Renro as politely as he could, "meet two of the chiefs: Carlin and Roshil." The response was cursory nods from the young intruders and glares from the Chiefs and their guard. "Carlin is our commander," Roshil explained. "Along with the rest of the chiefs we will be examining your case..." The scientist became more flustered with each sentence. "You realize, of course, that this is highly irregular. No one has ever..."

"No one has ever breached our security," Carlin intoned clearly in his baritone voice as he studied them. "I am not a superstitious man, but I'll say that in all my cenro this is as close to a miracle as I've seen." Tense silence. "You should not be here," he said as an observation. "I take this either as an advantage... or a terrible misfortune. We will see which it turns out to be." The young people were not expecting this level of hostility. They hoped the Antarion were keeping an eye on them, as they had promised.

"We'll escort you to a chamber for now until we can investigate. After our soon-coming event we'll know where you really stand." Carlin's glare intensified. "It would be to your disadvantage to try anything stupid." With that he led the way through the door and into the wide passage. They walked in silence for a few minutes before they came to a large, impenetrable-looking metal gate. One of the guards opened a panel and pressed a sequence of numbers. There was a series of beeps then a voice came over a communicator. "Clear." The door vibrated and slowly slid sideways, revealing a truly remarkable scene.

Before them was an enormous cavern, not dark and forgotten like the rest of the ancient mechanic field but alive and, in its own way, beautiful. It was twilight, they guessed that the time was around the evening meal. There were buildings and streets between them and people and most surprising of all: young trees. And the soft light which entered through large portals above was natural light. They wondered what it might look like in the morning.

The streets were lined with tall lamp posts fitted with kralig lights set to a cozy yellow for their evening time. The people they could see were ambling along the streets, or sitting at tables with drinks, or standing in groups talking and laughing. The feeling was of camaraderie; these were people of purpose who had come to the end of a productive working day. A close community that carefully guarded their private world and their objectives.

Carlin studied their reactions. The four intruders couldn't help but gape at this unexpected vista. To Orion it was similar to the scene in his dream where he stepping off the mag-way into the free-zone. Jenna at once felt homesick. Who are these kids? Carlin thought. He saw something in their eyes as they looked over his world that stirred long forgotten emotions. The door behind them had been winding closed and the final clang of metal against metal ended their reverie. They had to face the fact that they were criminals in this world – the last thing they had expected.

Carlin took a deep breath. He was more relaxed now that they were safely inside. A purposeful looking young man walked briskly toward the group, eyeing the strangers. He turned his attention to Carlin while handing him a tablet. "Everything's clear," he reported. "Teams are doing visual sweeps now, but as far as we can tell they just..." He glanced at the intruders but didn't finish his sentence.

"Thank you, Monti," Carlin said, then turned to address the Merenthaal representatives. Monti stayed by his side. "Though I do not believe in Destiny as others do, I accept that everything has a purpose – the more unlikely the event, the greater the purpose." His eyes roamed over the cavern. "Nothing happens by accident, even if it seems that way." His glare seemed to soften for a moment. They were, after all, adolescents. "Monti and the guards will escort you to your quarters," he told them, "We will call for you in the morning." With that he and the two other scientists walked toward a building on the left and disappeared inside.

Monti extended his arm in the direction they were to go; he obviously held authority here, although he wasn't much older than they. He also seemed to hold the favor of the commander. "So, Kurin was your father?" he wanted to confirm. Orion nodded. Monti's estimation of the intruders rose considerably.

They awkwardly began a conversation as they strolled through the subterranean free-zone, the guards trailing a few paces behind them. Their guide was in no hurry, it was clear he wanted to speak with them while he had the chance. They found that Monti was the son of Kylos, the other scientist who was killed along with Orion's father. There was instantly a bond between them, and they understood why Carlin had taken him under his wing.

Monti took them to eat at one of their cafeterias, which was more like a large, comfortable, family dining room. During the course of their leisurely evening meal they told Monti much of what they had relayed to Renro, including details that would appeal to someone closer to their age. The Antarion had not put any restriction on the information they were allowed to share with other people. Secrecy was not a part of their strategy.

Monti in turn gave them selected information about their subterranean world, about how they came to be there – most of which the four already knew. He told them about their construction and security systems and, most interesting to the newcomers, their remote photon conveyors – a mechanism that brought natural light from the free-zone into their cavern. In this way they had retained a semblance of natural life deep underground, and this made their exile bearable. Some of the people there had not come to the surface in over three years.

Their meal and enlightening conversation over, Monti led them to a three-story dormitory. Like the cafeteria, it was simple but comfortable, with all the modern conveniences available to them. It was clear that these people didn't plan to stay here forever, but they could if it were necessary. Monti showed them to a pleasant room on the third floor, overlooking the main street. There were four beds and an adjoining bathroom. The room seemed cluttered and mis-matched, as if someone had just moved more furniture into it. "Take some time to rest," he said. "I'll come for you in the morning." Monti smiled uncomfortably, "I'll have to lock the door. Sorry. Orders." Orion smiled and nodded.

Their guide left and they were by themselves again, although they knew they were probably being monitored. Orion instinctively tried the door. It was locked. Now he could relax. Three of them chose a bed and lay down – Orion chose the couch. "Well, what do you think?" he asked.

"I think that I'm too tired to think," Jenna said. "I'm glad they locked us in a comfortable place. All I want to do is sleep." The others agreed.

"Strange," Celli mused as she lay on a soft pillow studying the designs of the ceiling panels, "last night we slept in the asteroid belt – tonight we sleep underground."

"I wonder where we'll be tomorrow." Jenna remarked. They chuckled quietly.

"I think back five porthen ago," said Fel, "It's hard to believe. I wonder if we might end up going back to our lives after all of this - back to work in Tur-Lam; play again at Ortho."

Orion had a peculiar feeling in his stomach, as if those were names of foreign places which he had never visited. At the same time it seemed only yesterday that he and Celli and Fel had met at the cafeteria to plan their next game. His mind was in turmoil now that he had a chance to relax; now that they were not in motion; now that they had reached their goal.