Chapter 13: Dreams

Macaque sat patiently, waiting for you to answer. "I- Uh- Y-You already know about me being from a different world!" You tried. "That doesn't answer my question, though." Macaque insisted, scooting a little bit closer. You looked around the room, trying to find some way to avoid answering.

"Can- I- answer you later?" You tried. You turned your head and jumped a little when you saw how close he was. It felt like he was only centimeters away, even though he was actually a good ten inches away. Your breathe caught in your throat. Why? Why were you nervous? Why was your head starting to pound? Why did it feel like your heart was racing?

He was just a character from a story. You shouldn't be acting like this suddenly! Sure, you may or may not have had a crush on him in the series but, that was when it was just a show! This isn't a show! He isn't exactly the same as the series depicts him! "Why later? Why not now?" He asked, gently squeezing your hand with his.

"I-" your voice wavered a bit. "I just- I guess- I don't know! Just- I'll explain later!" You turned away blushing and exasperated. What was wrong with you? You sighed. Macaque hummed in thought. Macaque then lifted you onto his lap and started to cuddle with you.

You gasped, surprised by the sudden action. "Macaque? Don't you have a play to do?" You whispered, too afraid you'd stutter if you were louder. "Nope. It's Sunday. No work on Sundays." He muttered into your hair. You cracked a smile while blushing profusely.

Why are you like this? What is going on? Why does your face feel warm? Why do you feel tingly all over? Why do you like this? Why do you like cuddling with Macaque? You cuddled with him before, just like this but, you weren't as flustered as you are now! Why? What changed?

Your eyelids started to feel heavy. Him holding you like this after three night terrors in a row actually felt comfortable. Your head started to nod. You slowly, eventually, fell asleep in his arms. He then slowly, carefully, leaned backwards onto the bed and continued to cuddle with you as you both slept.

When you woke up, he was still cuddling you. You wanted to giggle at how he was acting but, resisted figuring you could maybe use this as blackmail of some kind instead. After an hour or two of laying there, you started to get hungry. "Macaque?" You tried to wake him gently. "Mhm" He hummed sleepily. "I want to get up." You told the sleepy simian.

"Mmno." Macaque answered, cuddling you closer. "But I'm hungry!" You quietly stated. "Mmno!" Macaque said again. "But-" "No." Macaque interrupted you. "Mot until I get mmy ansswer." Macaque mumbled tiredly. "Answer to what?" You asked him. "You know what mI mean." He mumbled an answer.

You layed there, trapped by the cuddly monkey, trying to understand his statement. "You know"? What does he mean by... Oh. It clicked. He was talking about his last question. The one he asked before you fell asleep. With how tired he is right now, maybe you could tell him the truth, he'd let go of you, he'd think it was a dream, and if he asked you later you could answer something else, tricking him into thinking it was a dream.

It was risky but, if it got you food, it was worth it. You took a deep breath and whispered, "I- I thought you were a cool character in the series. And clever, and brave. I'm a bit different from other girls. I like to like people because of their personalities, not because they're cute. If I find someone I think is awesome and they happen to be cute, I think of that as a bonus.

Plus, in the series, you did something that no other has ever been able to do. You, really, surprised me. I like to think stuff through and puzzle it together but, you really threw me for a loop. When I thought I had an answer, you proved me wrong, then stated an obvious fact that I over looked. So... I guess... Because of that, I think I really like you."

You held your breath, once you finished. Macaque hummed tiredly. His cuddle grip on you loosened and you squeezed away from him. You then quietly snuck out of the room and to a small kitchenette to find/make yourself some food. You didn't notice at all, your shadow was watching you with a small soft smile.

(775 words! This chapter was semi-inspired by the song up above!↑)