AFTER THE FUNERAL and after sharing stories of Abraham, the group parted, each heading to their own homes. Steve dawdled and took the scenic route, not wanting to return back to the tower. Correction: not wanting to return to Hodge. After all, the other spouses had been there. Maria held Carol's hand, giving it squeezes whenever the blonde even so much as sniffled. Sam nuzzled close to Riley, letting the man whisper comforts into his ear as he stroked his soft skin with his calloused thumb. Hell, even Loki's frenemy-with-benefits, Mobius, was there to support them.

And where was Steve's oh-so-wonderful husband? Where was he? Not there. Not caring about anyone but himself. It was on par, sure. But still!

Steve's hands dropped to his small baby bump. How could his little wombmate rely on a father like that? A father who was more concerned about himself than anything or anyone else?

They didn't stand a chance.

"I'll be there," Steve told them, rubbing over his lower abdomen. "I won't let anything happen to you. I promise. No matter what, I'll be there. Just you and me, if it comes to that."

He moseyed around outside until his nose was red and cold, and only then did he make his way back to Stark Tower. Waving at the lobby attendants, Steve made his way over to the elevator. For a moment, he thought about what it would be like to be stuck in there. Just to prolong reaching the twelfth floor. Even with Archie-or-Rosemary sleeping on his bladder.

Realizing that he'd rather be anywhere else – with anyone else – than with his husband, Steve's mind went to the Big D: Divorce. His hand went up to the crook of his neck where Hodge's mating bite was embedded in his skin, in his scent gland.

They were supposed to be together. Together for forever. That's what that meant.

Or at least what it's supposed to mean.

And now what?

Dropping his hand, Steve shook his head. No, absolutely not. They would not be getting a divorce. They would not be getting unmated. This was for forever. This wasn't the first time that Hodge had been self-absorbed. It wasn't even the first time this year. They'd get through this. They would. Steve would be damned if they didn't.

Finally arriving at his floor, he hesitated. Worrying his lower lip with his teeth, Steve debated if he wanted to say something to Hodge. Of course, he did. But he also didn't. He didn't want to have a fight. He didn't want Hodge to feel like he wasn't doing enough. Hodge was sensitive, even if he liked to pretend that he wasn't. And, really, Steve didn't want his husband to think that he wasn't good enough or something.

Looking out over the courtyard, Steve tried to appreciate how beautiful The Tower really was. Even twelve floors up and even with the trees still bare from winter, it was a sight. Steve sniffled, knowing that he was lucky to call this his home. Without The Tower he wouldn't have this baby. This perfect, perfect baby.

Wiping his eyes, Steve headed down the hallway for his apartment. He didn't want Hodge to know that he was crying, so he aggressively rubbed his cold, raw face. There were a lot of things that Steve wanted to say to his husband, but he wasn't sure how to put any of it into words.

With a deep, heavy sigh, Steve entered the apartment. All he knew was that they couldn't keep going on the way that they were. Not with a baby thrown into the mix.

In the living room, Steve found Hodge still in his boxer briefs, ignoring the TV as he read a script. For a moment, Steve stood there, waiting for Hodge to acknowledge him. When he didn't, Steve picked up the remote and turned the TV off. Which, frustratingly, didn't do anything.