Chapter 12

It feels like we've been walking for days. It's just a matter of time before it becomes night again. The color in the sky already becomes darker with the minute that passes. Jonah barely says a word in the 8 hours that passed, and I've given up to try to make him explain. As long as he brings me to Johannes Key, I'm fine with it.

Suddenly, Jonah stops walking. I softly crash into his back, but he barely moves beside the accidental small push I gave him. I quickly take a step back and apologize. "Sorry," I say vaguely. "Let's camp here." He throws his bag on the ground, there is tingling of the iron weapons that fall against each other as soon as the bag hits the grass on the ground.

"Already?"I ask, raising an eyebrow. "I thought you also worked a part of the night?"
Jonah intense gaze meets mine, and a shiver comes down my spine. "I do. You're the one who needs to rest."

He grabs a blanket and throws it at me. "Make yourself comfortable and sleep," he demands and turns around, going into the dark woods without saying a word. Now I'm alone, surrounded by the dark and quiet. I hear the wind rustle through the leaves, and there is an owl close by.

I put the blanket on the ground and lie down. But I feel watched and uncomfortable. How come the werewolves haven't found me yet?
They have my scent, after all. I sigh and rub my hand over the soft blanket.

It's comfortable...

I close my eyes and listen to my breath. It doesn't take long for me to open them, and I sit back straight.

I'm pretty sure someone is here...

I can almost feel it. My gut warning me. I get up. I hear some rustling in the bushes.
I take my courage and walk to it. Every hair on my body stands up, and adrenaline is already making itself in my body, so I can sprint away if I have to. The bush comes closer.

Three... two...

I take another stop closer. The bush is so close that I can almost touch it. The leaves move in an unnatural way. Someone is in that bushes...

One...

In one quick move, I grab the branches and pull them to the side, with one closed eye and look at the ground. But relief washes over me, and my body relaxes. A small bunny looks at me from the bush, confused. It drops its pedal and hops away into the forest. I sigh in relief and turn around only to bump into someone familiar. I automatically take a step back, my heart racing. "Jesus Christ, Jonah! You scared the shit out of me, "I tell him. The hunter has his usual expression on his face, his scar clearly visible now. He looks down at me. He turns around and goes to the campfire that he made.

He has a... chicken... in his hand. I didn't know the forest has chickens... Sure, it has bunny's, deers... wolves.

Jonah sits down and starts to pull the feathers out of the dead animal.

Somehow, his body is tense. "Are you okay?"I ask. Jonah stops just for a second before continuing. "Change of plans," he says. "As soon as we ate, we will leave." I look at him confused. "Alright, why?"
Jonah just sighs. "You're not the only one who is being hunt down."
The sentence got my interest, so I sat next to him. "Who's hunting you?"I ask. "Moonshadow clan," he says. "Their are clans? I thought they all gathered and came under the rule of King Hendrick."

"There is one other." Jonah turns to me after he put the chicken above the fire. "They are under the rule of another king. A king, they say, far in the north. Taking care of the little what's left of Frostfang clan. However... you can hardly call it a clan."
"They almost died out, didn't they?"I ask. "Yes, they did. They were the first clan without female wolves to provide their baby's. But that's a story for another time. After all... I'm hunting a rather special wolf that they have. Normally, the first thing I would do is bring you to Johannes Key, but... now they're here. I can immediately finish the task."

Wow... that's the first time I heard him talk that much...

I don't reply and nod. I'm understanding. "Who is this special wolf?"I ask. "The second last female."

A small shock of suprise lands on me. I look at Jonah, who stares at the fire, not knowing what to say. He is the one killing all the female werewolves?
"That's wrong..."
Jonahs eyes turned to me while his head stayed in the position it was. "Humans are paying the price," I add.

I think about what they said to me. The killings, rapings... and those poor people didn't do anything. They don't even know the very truth about the kind of world we live in. Like I could see the most werewolves weren't quite happy about it either. Most despise humans to begin with, and they basically have to make love with them for a new generation.

"Excuse me?", asks Jonah who pushes me back into reality. "Humans pay the price for it. Haven't you watched the news?", I ask. Jonah gives me a soft glare before he looks away. "As soon the werewolves are gone, there will no longer be a price for humans to pay, ever again."
.

.

.
I pack my stuff. Now we're done eating Jonah said I needed to follow him to the werewolf village, since I won't be safe here alone. Unbelievable I walk right back into a clan while I just escaped one.

I have a feeling that it will go wrong though...