Chapter 4

⊱∘──AERYN──∘⊰

It was a lot to take, knowing a mage joined Thanatos Organization, an organization that was considered to be a threat or outlaw by the superiors of Erether. It is one hell of a discovery.

Ano kayang maiisip ni Ariyah kapag malaman niyang isa sa membro namin ay mage? Feeling ko talaga tataas na naman ang blood pressure ng babaeng 'yon. I was even shocked, what more if she found out about this?

"I thought our headquarters is located somewhere around the lower districts," I said. "I mean, who would have thought that people like us can actually go here."

"Do you recall that time, eight years ago, when I left the compound for a month?" Azer inquired.

I nodded, memories of his abrupt departure resurfacing, leaving me in the dark about his destination and the duration of his absence. Back then, I had only been with the organization for two years so I wasn't comfortable with him leaving me alone.

"Then, three years ago, I left again with Jonah. On those occasions, we went to the headquarters. It's part of our duty as leaders to visit the headquarters every five years, or in rarest occasions, most members of the group have to come in times of emergency," he explained. "Well, it seems we now have an emergency. I believe the leader is summoning us to discuss the case of the missing children."

"And no one from Erethex knows about this?"

Iniling ni Azer ang ulo niya. "No."

We drove for nearly an hour, passing through the rugged terrains and ruined cities. When we arrived at the headquarters, people from the headquarters welcomed all of us who attended the assembly. All twenty groups, their vehicles, and their members were tightly packed within the territory of the headquarters.

The territory is a fortress concealed amidst the desolation of the surrounding wasteland. There were no imposing walls nor large gates that kept the people inside. It was just...a free dwelling—a stark contrast to the unforgiving world inside Erether.

Some homes were made from old shipping containers stacked on top of each other to make tall houses. Others used wood and old stuff to build their houses, like huts and cottages. Some had walls with colorful drawings. They also used some buildings that were not completely destroyed. There were gardens with plants and vegetables that grew well around the territory, crop fields, poultry, and farm animals that made the compound look like a provincial town.

In the middle of everything, there was a big house with a cone-shaped roof. It was larger than the other homes. I reckoned it must be where the leader of the organization lives.

"Wow." tanging nasabi ko lang habang nililibot ko ang paningin ko.

It's so much beautiful here.

Si Jonah ang naglibot sa akin sa buong lugar habang si Azer ay nakipag-usap kasama ang ibang leaders. We passed by a cemented house that was used as an infirmary, a huge dining place in a clearing, and a wide training ground.

"This place is amazing," I said with a smile and looked at Jonah. "I applaud the leader for creating an environment like this. Have you met him?"

"Nah. Just heard rumors about him." He said. "I heard he's young."

"That is even more amazing." My smile grew wider as I imagined what the leader looked like and what kind of vibe he or she radiated. "Anyway, where are we staying?"

"Mamaya na tayo babalik." sabi niya kaya kumunot ang noo ko. "May pupuntahan lang tayo saglit. Tara?"

Kahit na medyo nagdududa ako sa kaniya, sinundan ko lang din siya kahit hindi na siya nagsalita ulit nang tanongin ko siya kung saan kami pupunta.