"No..."

Macaque's eyes were glassy, and his lip trembled, "They have Wukong." MK looked back, spotting a scroll with his mentor's name scribbled on in gold letters. Anger flared in him as he spoke up, "You used us. You used me."

He moved forward, body glitching, "You were going to trap Macaque, too. Weren't you. But Wukong ruined at least that." MK became a monkey, only showing up briefly before soaring forward in a fury of gold.

Everyone moved.

Macaque weaved in his darkness, assisting the others as well. Mei used her new sword, yelling obscenities as she assisted Tang in fighting Peng. And then there was Sandy and Pigsy, who were doing their best against a heavy hitter, Yellow Tusk.

They weren't trained enough.

The warrior shook his head, "MK-!" He gasped, watching as a streak of gold hit against the lion, again and again. Macaque spoke up louder, "Just grab the scroll!"

MK must have heard him, because as he leaped, he snatched the bamboo piece and it was suddenly flying in the air. The boy reached out, trying to grab--

Azure was quicker, sword moving at dangerous speeds.

Macaque moved, shadows propelling him forwards as he yelled, an ugly animalistic scream ringing out, "NO-!"

Silence.

A small sob, and dripping blood.

MK stared in disbelief, shock making him feel numb. As if there was nothing left of his body. He flexed his hands, staring down at the droplets of blood on them. The others cried out, and Azure whispered stupid apologies.

Macaque heaved, clenching his face. He was trembling, and standing. The warrior was standing, even as blood seeped from his fingers. Angry, guttural sounds came from him as he screeched, "That could've been Wukong."

His remaining eye held venom as he bit into the air, causing the lion to flinch, "That could have been MK."

Sandy moved, deeming the fight over. He pushed the elephant aside, barely acknowledging the larger demon's shock as he scooped up everyone. Tang numbly moved his staff, a golden bubble surrounding them.

Peng broke out of their shock first, soaring forward, "They're getting away-!"

The golden glow was gone long before the bird could even touch it with their fingertips.

---

Macaque hissed as his wound was cleaned. It was a clean cut, a line that ran down from his eyebrow to the middle of his cheek. Another small cut was there, made from his claws as he'd grabbed at his face in shock when it had happened. It was a clean 'X'.

MK felt sick.

The warrior shuddered as his eye was wrapped, "Don't worry, I have some good news." Pigsy frowned, clutching his weapon, "What would that be?" Macaque held up his hand, a bamboo scroll in his fist.

MK cried out in relief, "Wukong..."

Mei hummed, "How do we get him out, though?" Macaque grimaced softly, "Subodhi will train you." When they had been transported, they had ended up in the old mentor's temple. Macaque knew the man was intelligent beyond comprehension, only Wukong ever understood his vague words.

But he wouldn't have let them teleport here if there wasn't a reason.

A gruff voice spoke up, "Macaque is correct. You will all learn under my guidance until you are ready to fight Azure Lion." Subodhi stepped forward, greeting Macaque with a bow of his head, "I assume you will be training MK?"