Chapter Five

The six dragons flew over the city, gliding over the airstreams. Cynder felt Spyro's fire magic wear off, the familiar warmth leaving her system. They landed in front of a massive structure, it was obviously a palace, its massive doors were closed. Michael opened the doors with a snap, they swung wide, exposing the antechamber. Spyro walked through the hall, he looked at each of the paintings in turn. He noticed that the paintings were in order by generations, males on one side, and females on the other. Spyro stopped when he saw Fury's smiling face on the last painting before the throne room.

"This place kind of reminds me of the castle I rescued Cynder in." Spyro said, shivering at the memory.

"That was an old Element Guard stronghold, the Element Guard reported directly to the king, so of course they would build the stronghold like this palace." Michael replied

They walked past the throne room, and into a strange room similar to the one Spyro and Michael found back at the magicarium.

"The Vault" Michael told them "Only Spyro or Cynder can open it now"

"I can open it?" Cynder asked

"You're the queen, of course you can open it" he answered

Cynder walked up to the door.

"How?" she asked

"Just tap it with your claws, when you mated, I tied your souls, making you connected, so you can do the same things he can, royalty wise." Michael answered

Cynder looked back to Spyro, who nodded. She walked up to the door and tapped it. The door flashed with a white rune, then opened. Spyro watched as the doors opened to reveal massive piles of treasure.

"WOOOOH, that's bigger than the piles back in Warfang" Ember said

They walked into the room, Spyro stopped and picked up a thick leather-bound book. He opened it and gasped when he saw dozens of different scales.

"When a dragon dies, a handful of scales are handed out to their loved ones before they are burned in soulfire, this is your entire family history since they moved to this dimension." Michael explained

Spyro looked up, and over to Cynder. She looked down at the book and flipped through the pages with him. Eventually Spyro put the book down and moved on, Cynder stopped when another book caught her eye.

"Is this my family's?" She asked

"Yes, they left their most prized possessions here for protection."

Cynder pulled a piece of fabric off of a painting, then stared for a minute at the faces of her parents. They finished looking around the vault. Then Michael gave them a tour of the rest of the palace. Cynder couldn't help but think about raising a family there, the thought surprised her. After a few hours the group returned to the square. Spyro looked distracted, He walked into the house and fell onto the couch.

"Did you have the same thoughts I did?" He asked her

"About a family?" She replied

"Yes"

"I did, but I don't know what to think about it"

"Maybe we should ask Mary how growing up in the palace was for her." Spyro looked at her

"That's probably a good idea." Cynder replied

Spyro sat up and grabbed a piece of paper and a pen, he wrote on the paper for a while, then signed it, and wrote the fire rune. It vanished, with a flurry of sparks. Cynder walked over to him and sat down, nuzzling him. He smiled at her.

"I can't believe my father grew up there, his room looked so neat and organized."

"Yeah, it was fun to look at all the trophies and medals on the wall"