Chapter 0

After Sian's sudden demise, Eunsang took over the throne as king regent till the crown prince Jeongryeong was of legal age. Eunsang was a sly man with innocent looks and great knowledge of politics......

East Kingdom, after King Sian's death

Eunsang lowered himself onto the cold, hard floor beneath Sian's imposing throne, cradling the slumbering Prince Jeongryeong in his trembling arms. His eyes had a mix of determination and vulnerability as he scanned the court and proclaimed, "I will act as the king regent until the crown prince is of legal age!" The declaration hung in the air, and the courtiers exchanged uneasy glances.

A curious courtier questioned, "Why are you not seated on the throne?"

Eunsang's gaze remained fixed on the throne, a symbol of his beloved king. "That's my king's place...I am but a mere servant to him! I cannot sit there," he responded, holding the slumbering prince closer. "Jeongryeong will sit there once he is of legal age!"

Doubt lingered in the air as another courtier approached, challenging Eunsang's authority. "How can we accept you as the leader of the kingdom? You don't have any qualities!"

Several courtiers joined in, expressing their discontent. "We want a just ruler capable of governing the country! We don't accept you as the king!"

 Eunsang maintained a calm demeanour as he replied, "I am the late king's legal spouse and king consort. Besides, King Sian has left an heir!" He raised Prince Jeongryeong, a fragile symbol of legitimacy, before the sceptical court. "I can rightfully rule this kingdom. You all seek a just ruler, but by doubting me, you do an injustice to the royal family! This is unacceptable!"

The murmurs of dissent grew louder. "We are just concerned about the kingdom's future... Besides, how can we know that this prince has royal blood? How can two males give birth to a child?" they questioned, scepticism colouring their voices.

Eunsang, feeling the weight of their accusations, hugged the child protectively. "My king himself declared it in front of the whole court that this child is his—" His words were abruptly cut off as the angry courtiers advanced, intent on dragging him from his place of declaration. Suddenly, a majestic tiger named Kitty leapt into the scene, positioning herself between the enraged courtiers and Eunsang. The fierce roar of the tiger instilled fear, causing the courtiers to step back.

"Kitty?!" Eunsang exclaimed, placing a grateful hand on the tiger's head. It became evident that she was Sian's loyal pet, now guarding her master's love. Kitty glared at the courtiers before gracefully settling near Eunsang.

A sigh of relief escaped Eunsang as he faced the courtiers once more. "You all want a capable ruler? Then bring me one within 24 hours. If you can't find one, I'll put you all to death for being rebellious against the royal family and disrespecting the late king's wishes!" His glare bore the weight of his grief and determination, and the courtiers, now silent, bowed in acknowledgement. Even amidst their doubts, they understood the absence of suitable candidates. The 7 knights would have been the best rulers but they were nowhere to be found, so they were reluctantly compelled to submit to Eunsang's authority.

Later that day, Eunsang found himself alone in the quietness of Sian's private chamber. He tenderly arranged Sian's favourite jasmine flowers and ignited incense sticks before the portrait that captured the essence of his late king. Tears streamed down his face as he whispered brokenly, "My king, if it wasn't for Jeongryeong, I would have accompanied you to the afterlife." Eunsang's trembling hand reached out to caress the painted image. "My king, please come back... I-I need you... p-please..."

His mourning was abruptly interrupted by Jeongryeong's cries. Eunsang rushed to the child, his heart aching with both sorrow and the newfound responsibility of parenthood. Cradling the infant in his arms, he whispered soothing words, "Are you hungry, my child?" The tearful gaze of Jeongryeong's jade eyes reminded him of Sian's own jade eyes. Eunsang, seeking solace in the innocent eyes of the child, called for a maid, "Bring me some milk, maid!"