Casualties

"I heard that in some countries," Nam-ra started, glancing around, "they mourn adults more than they do with children. And in others, children more than adults. Which do you think our country is?"

"What do you mean?" On-jo asked.

"When kids die, you lose hope but…" Nam-ra sighs, "when adults die, you lose their wisdom."

"Hope and wisdom." Joon-yeong added.

"Which do we value more?"

Hyun sighed as helicopters kept flying past. It annoyed her so much.

"They've been flying all over the place since yesterday." Nam-ra said plainly.  "They would have already saved us if they really wanted to. But even if they do come to save us, we won't get out first. We're just not important enough for that. We're students. That's it."

"They're probably dead," Hyun said, fiddling with her zipper.

"Stop being so pessimistic," Ji-min glared. "Jeez, you and Nam-ra."

"It's how she always is," Gyeong-su mumbled. Na-yeon glanced away from him.

Hyun looked around at all the others.

Hyo-ryung clung to Ji-min's arm.

Gyeong-su brought Na-yeon closer.

Dae-su, Wu-jin, and Joon-yeong were all chatting happily.

On-jo was staring out the window nervously.

Nam-ra acted as if they weren't even in an apocalypse, her usual stoic expression etched on her face.

Hyun sighs.

Poor Min-ji.

Poor I-sak.

They didn't deserve this.

"Su-hyeok." Dae-su breathed a sigh of relief and went to the window.

"Su-hyeok," Hyun said, walking over to him and glancing around. "Where's Cheong-san?"